Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Big turn around!

Old 07-06-2003, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Big turn around!

I was at my cabin two weeks ago and the clover was lush green about 3-4 inches and thick.I was actually figuring on mowing it soon.Now two weeks later its down almost to the ground and is burnt out in a few small areas.I saw a groundhog and a doe with two young ones eating it.Would they do this to an acre plot in a matter of two weeks?Or is it something else like I didn' t get the ph high enough?What would cause such a drastic turn around in a matter of two weeks?And is there anything I need to do?Advice needed...thanks
Old 07-06-2003, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Big turn around!

If the burned out areas are higher than the rest of the plot they would be drier, if they' re lower than the rest of the plot they could show pH problems/salt accumulations. Since deer can' t bite their food they tear it. Check the stems of the clover plants to see if it looks like it was pulled apart (jagged). This will let you know whether deer were the problem.

Did you test the pH before you planted?

Dan O.
Old 07-06-2003, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

No test dan,{i know bad idea} but the plot always had a mixture of periennial grasses and wild clover so i just went ahead and added 3/4 ton of lime.It did look like the stems were torn in most spots.Some small areas look to be a lighter green.There' s only a few small burn spots which are down to the ground.There are bare stems also.Should I take a soil test and re add lime or is it too late for this crop?Or can three deer and a few hogs do this much damage in two weeks?If you think it' s the ph can the plot be saved or should I try a new one in fall?
Thanks Dan
Old 07-06-2003, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

If there are enough deer and groundhogs they can strip an acre of new clover very quickly. Take a soil sample and get a quick pH done. Even a pH meter will tell you if you' re way out of wack. Then you can eliminate that as a potential problem. If the stems are ripped off it' s probably the deer. Then you' re into deer repellents etc., to try and keep the deer away until the clover develops a good root system.

Dan O.
Old 07-06-2003, 09:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

When did you add the lime? It may not have had time to work.
Old 07-06-2003, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Germain - I' m guessing the plot is under an acre - maybe less - deer can mow it down in a hurry if your population is high and there are not alot of other food sources. BUT - with a real wet spring - the countryside id lush with food in PA so I doubt its deer (a cage will tell you for sure). Also, severely browsed clover - will come back strong if protected - try a test cage.

It sounds more likely that the Ph is low, or... the clover was not inoculated, and Nitrogen levels are low, or..... a fertilizer was applied that burned the plot. Its also possible that P & K are low.

If any of these sound possible - let us know - there are courses of action that may help.

PS - you should do the soil test now - you will need it in the future anyhow. take several samples from 4-6" down, mix, dry and submit the sample - it' ll cost like $10.00 and at least you' ll know the " base" field composition.
Old 07-07-2003, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ok here goes guys....lime in late March,fertililizer in early April,10-20-20,spray in mid April,and plant two weeks later.According to the farmer' s supply the seed was inoculated.There were deer droppings in the plot and alot of the stems were jagged.This lets me with two questions,where do I send a soil sample,and what deer repellant do you guys suggest?
Another thing,the only crops in the area is hay,which just got cut.What has me baffled is the radical turn around in just two weeks.Anyway,there' s more info for you guys and I would like to add you guys are a big help,thanks.

oh yeah,one more thing,how long does the repellant work and do I apply it directly to the clover?If this is the problem.
Old 07-07-2003, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

germain; deer repellant is a last ditch thing if all else fails. You can get commercial types from Forestry Suppliers or try spraying deodorant soap mixture around the outside of the field.

Go to your local Coop or call the local agricultural rep and they will give you details about a soil test. You need it so you can eliminate pH/fertilizer needs from your problem list.

A caged area, as farm hunter says, will tell you whether the clover will grow where nothing else can touch it.

What are the dimensions of the acre plot?

Dan O.
Old 07-07-2003, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I forget the exact measurements Dan but it came out to about an acre.The plot is long and narrow roughly averaging 30 feet wide.
Old 07-07-2003, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

30ft x 1500 ft is about 1 acre - does that sound right? It sounds like a logging road or a cable line right of way - is that correct? How much shade is there???

Quick Reply: Big turn around!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.