Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

To much corn?

Old 08-13-2010, 03:09 AM
Fork Horn

If you start feeding corn now, acidosis shouldn't be a problem. Deer have plenty of other food to eat, so they will not eat only corn. If you start feeding corn and do not stop feeding corn, acidosis should not be a problem. Corn is not the most nutritional food for a deer, so corn should never be their only food source. Oats grain, for example, is a much better food choice for deer if it is available.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:42 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by H.L.H
So if my the deer around here haven't ate corn before and i wanted to feed them it would be best to put out small amounts at a time?
Yes. But I would add the phrase "on a continual and regular basis" to the end of your statement.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:07 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the help
Old 08-13-2010, 09:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

For many years we have used corn in the feeders on our places. Over a period of several years the quail population on one of those places has been declining, despite the fact that quail are not hunted there and the habitat is ideal for quail.

We have switched to using blackeyed peas and cattle feed pellets in our feeders. Most of the deer corn we get in OK is old, very low quality stuff that is full of dust and mold. Some of it is labeled to contain aflatoxin. Aflatoxin is a quail killer.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/outdoors/stories/020710dnsposassercol.3b0db39.html

The poison that Cox refers to is aflatoxin, a substance produced by fungi that grow on corn and other food staples. Aflatoxin rates in wildlife corn caused a stir in the 1990s when biologists became concerned about potential damage to deer and other wildlife.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration does not allow grain that tests more than 20 parts per billion of aflatoxin to be fed to dairy cattle or used for human consumption. It winds up as wildlife feed. Several studies have indicated aflatoxin can weaken and even kill wildlife.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:46 PM
Fork Horn

The corn i get from a feed store is clean good quality corn. What type of cattle feed do you feed your deer? Is it beneficial for antler growth during the summer or just something for them to eat?
Old 08-14-2010, 09:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Is it beneficial for antler growth during the summer or just something for them to eat?
i feed a Lindner pellet that is 20 percent protein. It is bought by the ton. We do not feed in the summer mostly because we have summer game plots. As soon at the summer game plots show good growth the feeding is stopped. Feeding is resumed about 15 September.

Antler growth is not an issue on two of our places. Big bucks have been killed on both those places. One drop tine 12 point buck was nine years old and in decline when killed: He scored 186 points as a non-typical and 168 points as a typical.