Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Beginner when it comes to food plots.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:26 AM
Spike

Default Beginner when it comes to food plots.

I've been archery hunting for about 7 years now and have recently decided to create a couple food plots this year. I live on the outskirts of the Cleveland suburbs and have access to 9 of my own acres, 15 of a neighbor's, and another 30 down the road. There isn't much in the way of farming in the area except one soybean field about 1/2 mile away. For ease of clearing, we are planning on planting them in existing clearing where there are power lines or old logging trails. First off, is it too late to do this for the upcoming season? We don't even have the soil tested yet. Second, what would you recommend I plant as a beginner? Third, is this going to require a lot of equipment? We do have access to a ATV, but it doesn't have any attachments. Thanks for the help!
Old 07-06-2010, 03:10 PM
Fork Horn

You have plenty of time yet. Testing the soil is a great first step, and you can take a soil test in July. Here is a link to some labs near Ohio that can test your soil. http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/soilandwa...4/Default.aspx Do not pay extra for "food plot" soil tests. That is just a marketing gimic to get you to pay more. I would recommend you spray the area you soil test with roundup about August 1-15. You can buy a backpack sprayer for spraying the roundup. Wait about 2 weeks, and add any lime and/or fertilizer you will need (you may want to lime to give yourself more future options for your food plot, such as clover). Work the lime and fertilizer into the soil. Check out local rental places if you do not have a lot of equipment, and even our local Gander Mountain rents food plot equipment. I would plant winter rye (grain, not grass) this fall, just before a rain. You can broadcast rye and use a drag to plant it. Rye is cheap, grows very aggressively in the fall and early spring, deer like it, and will grow in almost any soil (wet is bad). Next spring, you can kill the rye and plant a perennial such as clover if you would like (if your soil will support it).