Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Help with PH result.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default Help with PH result.

I got what I think was a seven on my Ph test. My test stick shows a seven to be neutral so do I need more lime or fertilizer or equal amounts. The area I have mowed down for my food plot was pretty much stick weeds so I guess more lime. The area is very small probley not an acre. I am plantig whitetail institute clover, I know its kind of late for that but I'm just now getting to it b/c of work. Thanks for any help.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

A ph of 7 is what you want. If you had a soil test done, it would tell exactly how much and what type of fertlizer that you need for what your planting. If it was me I would add 0 lime and use 200lbs an acre of triple 13 for clover.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:18 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by whitetail_fanatic
I got what I think was a seven on my Ph test. My test stick shows a seven to be neutral so do I need more lime or fertilizer or equal amounts. The area I have mowed down for my food plot was pretty much stick weeds so I guess more lime. The area is very small probley not an acre. I am plantig whitetail institute clover, I know its kind of late for that but I'm just now getting to it b/c of work. Thanks for any help.
It sounds like you might of used a do-it-yourself soil test kit ? If so, IMO those are unreliable, inaccurate trash. It's very unlikely that you've got a 7 pH, but if so, you definitely do NOT want to add any more lime.

Another serious issue you've got is the Stickweed/Yellow Crownbeard. That stuff is a perennial and mowing will not kill it. Your best bet is to spray it with glyphosate when it starts regrowing soon and plan on fighting it again next spring when new seedlings emerge, and they will for a year or two until the seed that's in the ground has been depleted. The seedlings are not hard to kill, but the established clumps that you have has a very tough root system that unless you have a heavy disk or plow, chemical control is going to be the best option. Overall it's not hard to kill with one dose of gly/roundup.

You've got plenty of time to prepare the plot and it will be much better to wait until mid-August or a little later before planting the clover. The WI clover can live for several years and could be nice this bow season and spectacular next fall, but only if you properly prepare the plot.

If I'm wrong about the soil test, I apologize, but if I'm not here's a couple sources for soil testing. Even the most experienced food plotter or farmer would have a failure trying to grow clover without knowing the soil needs.

http://www.soiltest.vt.edu/

VA Tech Forms

Mossy Oak Form and Instructions