Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

When to cut food plot?

Old 06-27-2010, 07:41 AM
Fork Horn

Question When to cut food plot?

This spring I planted a mix of alfalpha,rape,chicory,clovers and turnips. Coming up beautiful. If I knock it down in late summer, will it kill off my turnips? Was going to cut it down (6"-8")for weed control if needed.
Or would my best bet be to wait till next year?
Any suggestions are appreciated?
Thanks
Old 06-27-2010, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would mow it just low enough to barley clip the tip of the tallest plant you planted, which is probably the turnips. Next year you will have mostly alfalfa, clover and chicory come back.The nice thing about clover and chicory is that you can mow it several times a year and mowing it not only helps control weeds, it promotes new growth which really attract the deer. I usualy keep the clover chicory plots all year long and then around august or september Ill lightly disc it up and plant oats and a brassica/turnip mix. As long as you dont go too far with discing the clover comes back really nice which gives deer a great food source in the early spring through summer the next year.