Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Any improvements?

Old 06-23-2010, 10:00 AM
Typical Buck

Default Any improvements?

I have 90 acres I hunt in northeast Alabama.40 of it is on the right side of the road the other 50 is on the left side.It has a lot of does and a couple of nice bucks.

The 40 acres has three fields, two hay fields and a long field with clover planted in it.The woods are thick with lots of pines and oaks.

The other 50 acres has one field planted with clover.And is mostly hardwoods. It also has a big pond.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:56 AM
Typical Buck

Maybe plant some soybeans? Don't bother getting a planter or anything, just broadcast and disk. Use roundup ready beans, and if weeds are a problem just spray them with roundup. A 50 lb bag is probably around 20 bucks.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love planting the Rape seed and Brassicas mixture ("Shot Plot" from Evolved Habitiat I believe?),they tend to have some beautiful big leafs and they will take heavy browsing from the Deer,I also throw in a few pounds of purple-top turnips and some sugar beets for good measure and it makes a great looking food plot that has a lot of green plants for the Deer.We usually plant this in August or early Sept and the Deer will hit the plants even better after a good frost and the turnips and beets last into Winter.Some times we put some winter wheat or foraging oats into the mixture so we have them start in to growing in the Fall then they are dormant in the winter and then the wheat and oats start growing again in ealry Spring so we don't have to re-plant anything and its already established!