Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

protein

Old 03-21-2010, 08:05 AM
Spike

Default protein

I put out protein feeders(2-boss buck type&1- trough type)about a month ago and still no deer using them. does it usually take a long time for them to start eating from them? are is it because of the spring green up? Any suggestions on what I can do to get them using them.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

are you talking bout the pellets that smell real good?
if so they gather moisture and will make clumps in the feeder and get stuck in the hole and dont feed and it sux....the deer havnt takin to em yet, its been months..i think i will go back to corn, i will know next weekend when i check my cam, i mixed 50/50 with corn to see if it wont clump, and set the cam.so ill let ya know.

i planted a plot next to this feeder and know they are eatin there by the heavy sign i find, but the pellets seemed untouched and the clump had been blockin the hole to the feeder motor/spindle.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:49 PM
Typical Buck

Wink

I eat raw eggs for protien I dont know if the deer will eat em but they smell, and they are waterproof.
Ha ha dont listen to me,
Good luck though.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:31 PM
Spike

what kind of protein pettets is it try antlerking and try mixing corn with it and if you want to add just a little something else once they start hitting add corn soybeans and pettets they will tear it up trust me hang in there