Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Sorgum and antler growth.

Old 06-19-2003, 01:43 PM

Default Sorgum and antler growth.

A large fallow field along one of my hunting lands has been taken over by a bird club. This is the second year they have planted huge strips of Sorgum (sp) in it and the deer are hitting it hard.

Beautiful fat deer with some impressive headgear already. This is not my no.1 area, but may very well be this year. This crop is drawing deer in from everywhere.

How benificial is this crop to antler growth??

Thanks all you seed techies
Old 06-20-2003, 04:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Sorgum and antler growth.

I believe the nutitional value of sorgum is similar to corn. Meaning, it can be good as a late season energy source, but does not provide much in the way of protein, calcium, or phosphorus.

I had always heard that sorgum plants were not very palatable for deer in the early growth stages. I guess that is not always true, unless there is something else growing in that field with the sorgum.
Old 06-20-2003, 07:00 PM

Default RE: Sorgum and antler growth.

I planted a few acres in Sorgum this year for dove hunting. The company I bought the seed from advertises the product as food plots for dove, quail, turkey, waterfowl, and other wildlife. They didn' t specifically mention deer, but it did have a big buck on the brochure. Like you, I have also noticed that the deer have been hitting the seedlings pretty hard. I suspect this is because it new, green growth where the surronding areas aren' t as lush. I was told that it doesn' t really have much nutritional value, but sounds like it brings in the deer. Unfortunatly, your neighbors will probably shed it before bow season comes around.