Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Deer weights

Old 03-16-2010, 06:41 PM
Spike

Default Deer weights

Hi forum members

could you please tell me what weights whitetail deer go too,i was wondering if they were the same size as a fallow deer.the fallow does about 95..100 lbs,the fallow bucks about 160..190lbs,i would be very interestedto find out.
Regards,
chinese water deer.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

In the US - in the north - we often talk about Dressed Weight rather than live weight. A good Mature Whitetail buck in the Northeast will dress out at about 200 lbs - with 240 lbs live weight about right. Younger Bucks in the 1.5 - 2.5 Year Old range will be about 120 and 150 lbs dressed, respectably.

Weights vary around the US - and Midwest deer generally can weigh more and Southern deer generally weigh less.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:45 PM
Fork Horn

Midwest deer (WI, MN) are about the same dressed weight as Farm Hunter mentioned for NE deer. Does tend to dress out about 100-125 lbs, but we don't age them and I have heard of bigger.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

In south Alabama the biggest whitetail buck I have seen on the scales was 310 pounds live weight, second biggest was 245 and then several in the 225 range. Does run from 80 to about 140 pounds live weight.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:40 AM
Spike

Default deer weights across the the states

As a newbie to this forum i would like to thank members for their information.My original question was the weight of a Whitetail Buck....and a Whitetail Doe in comparrison with the fallow deer.By your replys it appears that the Whitetail is the bigger beast.Now i am going to put a question to the forum members,i shot a Red Stag in the rut,he was an 18 pointer,time that the head,gralloch,feet were off.I took it to the game dealer who is a mate of mine,by the time he had butchered the carcass and removed the bones,he phoned me up and told me that the meat weight was 358lb.In norfolk where i manage the RedDeer,he was about averidge size.I would appreciate it if you can try and compare my red to one of your native species,so that i can see what the various sizes are with the ones in england.Its good to talk to you members in the states,so far i have gained some more information about the whitetail,which is a lovely looking beast.
Good Hunting,
Regards,
chinese water deer.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:10 PM
Spike

What we call elk here are very closely related to your red deer and are nearly identical. An average cow will go about 500 lbs and an average bull will be about 700 lbs. There will obviously be extremes on either end for both sexes though.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by chinese water deer
Hi forum members

could you please tell me what weights whitetail deer go too,i was wondering if they were the same size as a fallow deer.the fallow does about 95..100 lbs,the fallow bucks about 160..190lbs,i would be very interestedto find out.
Regards,
chinese water deer.
As stated deer here very from different parts of the country.. Maine does have some of the larger deer found but the deer are far and few in between in most areas in the northern parts of the state. Here is a quote from the Me. web site..

Maine is home to one of the largest of the 30 recognized subspecies of white-tailed deer. After attaining maturity at age five, our bucks can reach record live weights of nearly 400 lbs. Most adult bucks, however will normally range from 200 to 300 lbs live weight, and will stand 36 to 40" at the shoulder. Does are considerably smaller; they normally weigh 120 to 175 lbs live weight. Newborn fawns begin life at 4 to 10 lbs, but grow to approximately 85 lbs live weight in their first 6 months of life.

Although Me. record doe is at the 200 lb dressed mark that one is a rareity and not very common at all. The average large doe would go around 110 lbs - 120 lbs dressed.. Bucks are shot each year that range from 200 lbs. to 265 lbs. dressed wieght. But any deer over the 200 lb. mark is a big deer here ..