Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

minerals

Old 06-16-2003, 11:54 AM
pup

Default minerals

i have read lots of stuff about mineral suplements and i was thinking about trying some what would be a good thing to start with? i dont know a thing about them.
Old 06-16-2003, 03:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: minerals

I get mineral blocks from a farm supply store. TSC stores in this area. I buy the block with the lowest salt content. At some times they will have a Deer and Game block with 9-10% salt. When that is not in stock I will get a livestock block. Can usually find one about 14-15% salt.
Old 06-16-2003, 06:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

We usually get loose trace mineral salt and mix it with Di-Cal about 50-50. Just dig a hole about 3' diameter and about 10" deep, pour the mixture in and dig in some dirt with it. We usually put out about 50 pounds of mixture at a time. It usually works better in a heavy clay area.
Old 06-16-2003, 07:06 PM
Fork Horn

Go to my website in my sig. below and click on the mineral sites button. It lists all the ingredients along with instructions and pictures for the mineral licks I use. We just put 2 new ones out on Memorial day and went back this past weekend to find them dug up really good. I forgot to take the camera so I' ll have to get pictures next time. Total cost is just over $50.00 and you end up with 300lbs of minerals/salt/molasses.
Old 06-17-2003, 10:35 AM

Ballistictip that is a nice website. Does that mixture contain any amounts of protein that will help the deer get off to a good start antler development wise. I have plenty of food plots, but with the snow on the ground in my area sometimes until late March this forage is not available and the antler growing process has already started. Most commercial protein mineral licks are very costly to implement.
Old 06-17-2003, 11:29 AM
Fork Horn

That mixture doesn' t really have much protien. It is very high in phosphorous, calcium, and other important minerals. Here in NC our clover is usually growing like crazy by March so I' ve never worried too much about the protien. I will have to check with the guy at the local feed store where I buy most of my stuff to see if he' s got something with protien that could be added.
Old 06-20-2003, 07:20 PM

Purina makes a product called Trophy Mineral. It is balanced and created specifically for deer. I have found that it works well to put some protein blocks around the mineral feeder. I pay around $18 bucks per bag. Watch out though, the cows on my place love it also!
Old 06-20-2003, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

FRM deer minerals is the best I' ve ever used.Just pour on the ground and they(the deer) will dig you a hole.
Old 06-23-2003, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

My brother went to a local feed store that will mix up minerals. he does it alot for others. He has a lot of variety' s to choose from for attractants to add to the minerals. I had tried Whitetail Institutes protien plus, Mega bucks mineral mix, and a no name brand out of Dick' s sporting goods. I mixed corn with them, poured molasses on them. None of them really got used alot. But after my brother had this stuff mixed up they are hitting it hard. Couple have 12" holes dug out now. He had it mixed up with calcium, phorporus, and other trace minerals. He took in the mineral amounts from the ones I' d been using. I' m not sure what the attractant was he had mixed in, but its working like crazy. It was cost effective too compared to the others I' d been buying. He got like 16 20lb bags mixed for $80