Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

What to Plant in Northern Michigan

Old 12-04-2009, 10:13 AM
Fork Horn

Default What to Plant in Northern Michigan

The adjoining property owner approached me recently about starting a food plot in the powerlines that run through our properties, I have absolutely no experience with this and have been learning alot from these forums but I am not sure exactly what to plant. Our land is surrounded by farms on three sides and the deer use our properties as a travel corridor as well as a bedding area. From what I have been reading Brassica sounds like it may be the best option but I don't know for sure. This year it was 20 degress in the first week of October (our archery season opens Oct 1st) so I need something that will last in the cold temps, and from what I have read the deer are not attracted to the Brassica until the first freeze so that would make it a good contendor. I also need something that is not going to require a whole lot of upkeep because I do not have running water on site and I am only at the property once or twice a month in the summer. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:22 AM
Typical Buck

A blend of brassicas, winter wheat, and winter rye are three that come to mind that would meat those requirements.
Edit: Just to clarify, I didn't mean a blend of all three of those. I was counting a blend of brassicas as one option, WW and WR as two others. Reading back, I can see where that may have caused some confusion.

Last edited by M.Magis; 12-04-2009 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:58 PM
Fork Horn

I would suggest getting a soil test done ASAP in the spring. You may need lime, you may not need lime. A soil test will also tell you what you need for fertilizer. Brassicas are a good choice, I do like winter rye (the cereal grain) for us northerners too. Do not pay for a more expensive "food plot" soil test, just fill out the form for the crops you are interested in growing as if a farm field. I would also suggest sending the soil sample to MSU, or another in-state soil lab. Out of state labs may not report in units that your local coop is familiar using, and they may use inappropriate testing methods for your soil.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:54 PM
Fork Horn

thanks for the tips......any suggestions where should I get seed from?
Old 12-05-2009, 03:56 AM
Fork Horn

Check your local coop for small grain seeds. It is hard to beat http://www.welterseed.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=266 for brassica or other food plot seeds. They ship out individual seed by the pound, so you do not need to buy more seed than you really need.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Turnip is a great Northern food. I find that the deer will feed on the tops in the early season and then dig after freeze up. Here in Ontario I have one plot of turip every season. Weather is the key as well a warm fall could hold deer off and I have missed the end of the archery season because of them not freezing. This has happened once in 10 years of planting them....
Old 12-14-2009, 11:28 AM
Spike

We have found that the deer love canola (aka rape) on our property in NC Wisconsin...especially after a couple of frosts. When the corn and soy beans turn brown, they tear into our canola because it's still green and sweet...they need those calories.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:17 AM
Spike

The ten faith traditions participating in Earthkeepers (Catholic, Episcopal, Lutheran, Presbyterian, United Methodist, Unitarian Universalist, Baha'i, Jewish, Zen Buddhist, and Quaker) took part in a blessing of the trees ceremony on Earth Day, April 22, next to the Presque Isle pavilion.

The faith groups will pick up 12- to 16-inch white spruce and red pine seedlings at local conservation district offices in the Upper Peninsula (U.P.) on Saturday, May 2 and plant them the next day. They can plant the trees anywhere they decide and give out trees to members and others.

"This is about more than putting trees in the ground--it's an expression by the faith communities of love and care for God's creation,” said Catholic EarthKeeper team member Kyra Fillmore, the project's communications coordinator for faith communities.