Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Planting Question

Old 10-08-2009, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default Planting Question

Whats the best type of planting machine for food plots? I have a friend selling a no till drill. What is a no till drill?
Old 10-08-2009, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

In my opinion, the most valuable planting tool is a Funnel Spreader. With a newer one, you can dial down to plant clover - but also broadcast fertilizer - and all seed in between. In most cases - you need to plow and disk before planting.

A no-till drill can work ok with the right tractor - mostly for larger seeds like soybeans, corn or even grains - but with the right chemical application. Not all no-till drills work for all soil conditions - I'd ask a lot of questions before I bought.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

A drill is probably the most flexible. If it does not already have them, the drill can likely also be fitted with a small seed box and/or a fluffy seed box.

What brand of drill are you looking at?
Old 10-09-2009, 04:20 AM
Fork Horn

Kasco brand.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:51 AM
Typical Buck

If you can find a no-till drill at a reasonable price used, I don't think you'd ever regret it. A good sized new one is very expensive though, over $25k.

Here's a pic of a older Great Plains no-till drill.

This one has a small seed box also.

Three weeks after planting.

One of the biggest advantages of a no-till drill, is the soil does not have to be tilled prior to planting, just killed with the right herbicide, saving time, moisture and top soil. Lime was applied to the plot above and needed to be incorporated. For the next 4 or more years tilling won't be necessary, making weed management easier also.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:14 PM
Fork Horn

Haystack- I have a new 2 acre field I want to plant kura clover in next year. Hopefully I can get it sprayed, limed, and fertilized this "fall" (25 for a low here tomorrow night!). When will you be up here with that no-till drill? Can't beat a no-till drill for most food plot selections.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by zophy
Kasco brand.
Not familiar with that particular brand.

The main difference between a no-till drill and a regular drill is the coulters running in front of the openers. Loosens the soil a little in front, as well as cutting through stubble so it doesn't hang up on the openers.

I prefer double-disk openers as opposed to single-disk openers.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:45 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Soilman
Haystack- I have a new 2 acre field I want to plant kura clover in next year. Hopefully I can get it sprayed, limed, and fertilized this "fall" (25 for a low here tomorrow night!). When will you be up here with that no-till drill? Can't beat a no-till drill for most food plot selections.

If I head out for your area today...I should get there by next spring at 20 mph Seriously though, if i could I would my friend.

25 degrees already! No frost here yet, but it has been in the 30s three times, next week should be some frost according to the forecast. Oct 10th is the average killing frost in my area.

Hope yall getting some rain up there, I know it's been a serious drought in eastern MN/western WI.