Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Desperate.

Old 05-09-2003, 02:55 PM

Default Desperate.

Guys....
I' m in desperate need to kill off some weeds.
I own 11 acres of property.....it' s only 160ft wide but it goes back a long way.
It' s pretty much all busy with a small river running through it....so part of the property retains a little bit of water.

I have a path going from one end to the other and in the summer I can' t walk that path either due to the amount of mosquitos and/or high grass.

I' ve been wanting to plant clover or some other type of deer feed along the path instead of having those weeds....but these things grow 6ft tall and I don' t know what to use to kill them.

Any suggestions would be great.
Old 05-09-2003, 07:16 PM

Default RE: Desperate.

This may be one answer. Bush hog that path, 5 or 6 feet, no more. Just that one pass,once up and back. Let it get some growback so there is fresh greenup. Then roundup it. Not knowing where you are, can' t say what your soil properties are but you may have to lime. Try and get some idea of your sopil condition. If you have a Coop in your area, find out what clover, etc. is best for where you are. After the roundup neutralizes, seed right before a rain. If you have access to a tractor tiller, one pass up and back would give you a good seedbed.
Russ
Old 05-10-2003, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Russ is right. A couple strips with a brush-hog and some lime will do wonders. I' ve had experience with the dreaded 8' tall weeds...and this will help. Just mow it before it gets too high in spring.
Old 05-12-2003, 06:50 AM

Can you rent brush-hogs?
Old 05-12-2003, 07:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sure you can rent a bush hog, at least in our area you can. It may be cheaper in the long run (bush hog rental, trailer to haul it, tractor rental, etc) to hire a local farmer in the area to do the work for you.
Old 05-12-2003, 12:08 PM

How big of a beast are we talking about here?
Does anyone have a picture of one of these bush hogs?
Old 05-12-2003, 01:07 PM
Typical Buck

you know the things you see the road maintenance crews use behind their tractors to cut grass/brush along the roads? those are bush hogs. they make them in models as little as 5' wide for smaller tractors.
Old 05-12-2003, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try this link.

http://www.bushhog.com/

Dan O.
Old 05-13-2003, 11:12 PM

If you are in Ferry Township I' ll come over and do it for you. That' s in Michigan. In Oceana county. [&:]
Old 05-14-2003, 09:34 AM

Unfortunately I' m just north of Toronto, Ontario.....so I don' t think you' ll make that drive! It might take a while!

Quick Reply: Desperate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.