Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Salt Block Or Mineral??

Old 02-04-2010, 02:02 PM
Typical Buck

I like to get a salt block and put apple buck jam on it.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:25 PM
Spike

I placed a salt block and a trace mineral block out about a year ago and they are about 8 feet apart. After several hundreds of trail cam pics I don't have one of a deer licking the white block and dozens of deer licking the brown block, sometimes as many as 3 deer at once. They may hit the white block if the brown one wasn't there? Just my experience.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:38 PM
Spike

Default Salt block or mineral

HIYA FORUM MEMBERS

Salt blocks I have got to say that once the deer get used to coming to them they never look back.I use the old method ,i select large old birch tree's cut them down leaving about 3 feet standing,i then use a long boring bit and bore about10 holes in the top,then where the drill ends i then bore holes all the way round so then the salt comes out like the end of a watering can.i use dishwasher salt i tip sme in the top then water it in,then after a period when ihave topped it up and the rains done its jobthe stump begins to shine where the deer are using it.I also use a german preperation called jagd tar i spread that on old well browsed branches thats got quite alot of vitamins in it,the RedDeer love it.I also use an aniseed paste that i brush on stumps,thats a real killer draw for Fallow Deer,Roe Deer,and Muntjac i shoot a load of deer with that.A another deer manager gave me a trailer full of chalk in lumps he recons that they go for that as they like the minerals and also it makes good antler growth.Ithink that what ever you use it will go some where into helping the deer.
Regards,
Chinese Water Deer.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:47 AM
Typical Buck

Find an old stump and take trace mineral and disolve the trace mineral in a bucket of water. Dump the mineral in the stump, sit back and watch the stump disapeer. The deer will eat the stump and eventually eat the dirt under it. You will have a lifetime deer lick, just add the water/salt mix a few times a year.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:24 AM
Spike

lucky buck mineral and antlerking I've tryed everything and thats the best I've ever used by far
Old 04-13-2010, 10:09 AM
Typical Buck

I have had the most success with a salt lick.