Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

how can you tell

Old 06-25-2009, 03:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default how can you tell

any suggestions on how to tell if deer are eating in your food plot. i cant really see any tracks because there isnt any bare spots in it and i just mowed it today to. i have a trail cam but i dont really want to put it over it if there isnt any deer coming into it. also will mowing it helpwith weeds i was having a little weed problem. any help would br greatly appreciated
Old 06-25-2009, 05:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: how can you tell

i don't know if the same rules apply to this but... I know sometimes in trapping, flour is used to find tracks. any tracks in flour are sure to stand out like a sore thumb
Old 06-25-2009, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

bucksniper, build a small cage and put it in the plot, out of fence posts and fencing or chicken wire. You will be able to tell how much the deer are eating by how much taller the clover etc. is in the cage than the clover etc. that is outside the cage.Pike
Old 06-25-2009, 06:43 PM
Typical Buck

In addition to what Pike has mentioned. Once your clover starts growing look for browsing evidence, nipped stems and such.

Here is a pic of what to look for.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:01 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: bucksniper14

any suggestions on how to tell if deer are eating in your food plot. i cant really see any tracks because there isnt any bare spots in it and i just mowed it today to. i have a trail cam but i dont really want to put it over it if there isnt any deer coming into it. also will mowing it helpwith weeds i was having a little weed problem. any help would br greatly appreciated

Sorry bucksniper, I overlooked your other question. Mowing will help, it all depends on what type of weed or weeds your dealing with. A lot of broadleaf weeds can be controlled by mowing, some of the grasses is what will cause you the most trouble in clover. IMO
Old 06-27-2009, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just use your trail cam. That's the best way to tell if they're comingto the plot.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:04 PM
Typical Buck

jpike is right build a couple of wire cages and set them out,this will allow you to see how much the deer are utilzing the food plot,although I would also use my trail cameras because this time of year the bucks often travel in bachelor groups and if they are visiting your food plot you should be able to get some good pics of them and see what kind of bucks you have.And about the weeds,You didn't say what kind of food plot you have planted,but I would visit a local feed and seed store and let them help you with something to spray over the top to kill the weeds and not the plot,I don't see how mowing would help because you would be mowing your food plot down along with the weeds.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:54 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: treboryerf

jpike is right build a couple of wire cages and set them out,this will allow you to see how much the deer are utilzing the food plot,although I would also use my trail cameras because this time of year the bucks often travel in bachelor groups and if they are visiting your food plot you should be able to get some good pics of them and see what kind of bucks you have.And about the weeds,You didn't say what kind of food plot you have planted,but I would visit a local feed and seed store and let them help you with something to spray over the top to kill the weeds and not the plot,I don't see how mowing would help because you would be mowing your food plot down along with the weeds.

Bucksniper posted that he had planted clover 4 weeks ago.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3428262

And mowing clover is recommended by most anybody that has ever grown it.
Clover actually thrives on being cut/mowed/clipped. The new growth is what a deer prefers also.

http://farmingforwildlife.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id= 87&Itemid=1