Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Round up

Old 05-14-2009, 06:25 AM
Typical Buck

Default Round up

I have picked out a couple smaller plot sights that I want to get ready for a fall planting. However they are in spots where you could never reach them with any type of serious tillage equipment. Instead I'm just going to spray it a couple times with round up to kill the weeds, clear off the dead stuff and then broadcast the seeds. my question is how heavy am i supposed to apply the round up? is there a general rule of thumb that says to apply x number of gallons/acre?
Old 05-14-2009, 06:53 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Round up

It will come with a mixing instructions booklet, but typically 2 quarts per acre is normal.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:04 AM
Typical Buck

You're probably going to spray it with a 2 gallon pump sprayer or maybe a 4 gallon pump sprayer. Mix your Roundup at 2%. (that's assuming you're using a 41% glyphosate concentrate). That's roughly 2.5 ounces per gallon, or 5 ounces in your 2 gallon sprayer, or 10 gallons in your backpack sprayer. While you are at it, mix some nitrogen in with the herbicide. It'll make the gly work better, and it'll help your food plot when you plant it. Ammonium nitrate, ammonium sulphate, or even straight ammonia. I used to mix epsom salts with household ammonia and some dishwashing detergent when making a batch of gly.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:23 AM
Typical Buck

I will be spraying it with a two gallon pump sprayer. Once i have the two gallons mixed correctly, how much of that mixture should i apply per acre?
Old 05-14-2009, 10:25 AM
Typical Buck

You would be filling the tank multiple times for an acre, but since you’ve not said how much you’ll be doing, it’s impossible to say how much you will use. Just mix at 2.5 oz per gallon of water and repeat until done. You don’t have to soak the grass.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:09 AM
Typical Buck

thanks for the info Magis. I figured it would take me a few tank fulls to do these areas. I haven't had a chance to measure how bit they actually are probably only 1/2 to 3/4 of an acre each. Prob going to take a little while with that little two gallon sprayer but I'm trying to put these thing in on a somewhat reasonable budget haha. Once they are sprayed about how long would you wait before you tried to clear the dead stuff? like a week or so? when can you apply the lime after the field is sprayed?
Old 05-14-2009, 12:09 PM
Fork Horn

We have 1/2 acre of food plots on our land and we usually use about 9-10 gallons. I also mix it about 3-4 times stronger than the recommended mix. For my plots, it usually takes about 3 weeks for everything to be dead, after 1 week the grass will start turning a little yellow, 2 weeks the grass will be dead, but for the thicker weeds and underbrush it may take a full 3 weeks to kill it all. Once everything is dead its pretty easy to clear. As far as putting lime down, it should be put down 6 months before planting, it won't do any good if you put it down right before planting.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:24 PM
Typical Buck

I would agree, a minimum of three weeks for a good kill. Longer is better, but I mix at the normal rate and I like tobe certain that the roots are dead.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:27 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: gmil6184

I will be spraying it with a two gallon pump sprayer. Once i have the two gallons mixed correctly, how much of that mixture should i apply per acre?
Apply enough to cover all the leaves and blades of the vegetation that you are trying to kill. You do not need to apply it to the point where it will run off, that's too much.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I mix 3oz to a gallon with a bit of dishing washing liquid. Works good.

Quick Reply: Round up

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.