Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

types of corn

Old 04-07-2009, 10:19 AM
Fork Horn

Default types of corn

Hello. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations as to a type or brand of corn that has worked for them in the past. It is sandy, well drained soil and it is only about an acre-acre and a half. Any recommendations are more than helpful. Thank you everyone. Also, does nayone have any ideasw for how to keep sandhill cranes out of the plot while the corn is just starting to shoot up? I know they will walk right down the row and pick out each little stalk as it begins to come up..

Thanks Again.

Brandon
Old 04-07-2009, 11:37 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: types of corn

Well first off, where I come from this is a good way to start a fight (LOL) So what ever I say is just my opinion. I grow corn mainly for silage but if its been a good year I will shell some. I use what is called a dual purpose corn. Its what I would recommend for a food plot also. Depending on what area you are located will also determine what varieties grow best in your area. I prefer a full season corn 115-118 day, seems they can tolerate dry spells better. I also prefer one with a large stalk so it can stand late and dry down if necesary. I have planted many varietys and the brand that I'm usaully satisfied with the most is Hytest. One bag of seed corn plants 2.5-3 acres for my conditions. You might want to consider Pheasants Forever for your seed corn, I've never done it but I hear you can purchase RR varietys at a good price.

As for the Sandhill Cranes, there is a product that is enviro-friendly thats supposed to work and is called Avipel and/or Avitec...I have no experience with this, its just what info I have read. Not sure its approved in all states.
Crows sometimes give me trouble and I really haven't found anything that works all the time. I currently use a product called Kernal Guard it is not necesarily a bird repellent, but seems to make the corn a little less apealing. I have heard of old timers using Turpintine, but I have never tried it, was afraid it could affect germination/plant.

It could be a few members on this site with more info and ideas that might be more specific to your area.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:45 PM
Fork Horn

First of all, thank you for your input. I really appreciate it. And second, yes. I understand everyone has their own opinions. haha. Afterall, thats what makes us sportsman so interesting. lol. We are using this solely as a food plot. We will not be harvesting it.. just tilling it under next spring..

At home, we live on a lake and geese are a huge problem becuase they come up into the yard and poop everywhere. and when there is flocks of over 100 birds, it makes quite the mess. To keep them away, we use these almost streamer/ windsock sort of apparatus along the shore line and it really kept them away. It was a combination of moving in the wind and the shininess that kept them away. Do you think this would work for the cranes?
Old 04-07-2009, 01:57 PM
Typical Buck

I know virtually nothing about Cranes. But I know what you are talking about. There are many pick your-own strawberry patches and orchards in my area and they use something similar, I think its called Mylar and from what I hear it works good for all sorts of birds here, could be worth a try and less expensive for sure.

Maybe your local Extension office could have some suggestions.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:54 AM
Fork Horn

AS haystack says go to pheasants forever, corn is about $15 a bag. Sure birds and DEER are going to eat some when its growing ,Dang deer even eat cobs when the start to grow, But that iswhat its all about getting wildlife around If you want just a bait station, put some corn a pile, believe me you will love to able to see all the wildlife at all times
RC
Old 04-08-2009, 03:07 PM
Fork Horn

Lastyear I used Roundup Ready - Pioneer 39D80 BT-X 80 day corn, which turned out great. Of course it was a good corn year. The BT is for Corn Borer and the X is for Root Worm. This is a must if you plant corn in the same spot for more than three years.This is NY and no sandy soil.