Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

What grows good with alfalfa

Old 03-28-2009, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What grows good with alfalfa

what winterseed grows good with alfalfa, because we are planting a field of it but we know as soon as the first frost hits, the alfalfa goes dormant so we want another seed thats good in the winter, any suggestions
Old 03-28-2009, 01:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What grows good with alfalfa

That is not going to be easily done. My reasoning would be that it would create unwanted competition with the more expensive alfalfa. In my experience with alfalfa it does quit growing after the first hard frost, but the deer dont quit eating it till it is mowed off or it is buried under snow.

You could possibly plant a cold hardy plant or plants around the outside edge of the alfalfa. This is just my opinion. These other guys could have some ideas.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:04 AM
Typical Buck

Agreed, also alfalfa can be more finicky that most anything else planted for deer. Not something you can plant and forget about. Be prepared to mow(or have mowed, its not very hard to get rid of)when needed, and pH and nutrients aremore critical than most things used for plots. I'd plant two plots before I mixed anything in with it. Try some oats or wheataround the border of the field, or just do half and half. Around here deer prefer the oats, every farmer in the county has wheat fields sewn by hunting season. The oats are only about $30/acre vs $150 for the alfalfa. Alfalfa puts offtons of forage, and is a good choice where overgrazing has been a problem(along with shooting a bunch of does).

Old 03-29-2009, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

yea we already have a few plots that are alfalfa and oats, i was just wondering if anything else grows good with it, we'll probably just go half and half with beans or corn,thanks for the tips!