Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Food Plot Ideas!!!!

Old 01-19-2009, 04:24 PM

Default Food Plot Ideas!!!!

Hey guys havent posted much on here, but I am needin some help. We are goin to plant food plots this year, and the soil is fairly sandy on a few of the plots. It is all fairly good river bottom soil except for the sand. So what would be a good thing to plant on the small plots. I am open to any suggestions.It will be for deer and turkey.
Thanks
Old 01-27-2009, 11:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Food Plot Ideas!!!!

I would have to say extreme from wildlife institute. I had a spot with sandy soil, it did better than anything else I tried there. Chicory also has a deep taproot. May be good enough. I have some of that as well. Crown vetch is pretty hardy as well.
Don't be affraid to sew braisicas in there. The tonage they produce will add material to your soil to build it up when they die in the warm season.

You may want to see if any of your saw mills or wood chipping places give away free dust or chips. Let it rot for a year then it's compost. After a few years you will have loam. I have the city dump all the shredded leaves and branches. 10 chicken farms dump their feathers. And a local saw mill dumps all their dust. It all goes in the manure spreader and helps us all out.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Food Plot Ideas!!!!

A couple questions:

What part of Oklahoma are you located? A lot of things will work on the eastern side that will not be as successful on the western side.

Is where you are talking about ever flooded? If so, how frequent? I'm assuming since it is sand that just standing water is not a problem.