Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

What happened to my dirt???

Old 12-01-2008, 02:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default What happened to my dirt???

I started my first food plot about 9 months ago. I got my ph near to 7 and fertilized and grew some very nice iron clay peas. A few months later hurricane Faye came through. It drowned my road and I had to replant with brown top millet. It did not grow well. so I retested it last weekend for ph. My ph is now a THREE. I guess Faye destryoed my dirt. So hereare my questions because I do not know how to do the numbers.

How much lime do I need to put down on half an acre to get it back up to 7?

How long will I need to wait for the lime to become intergrated into the soil before planting.

Thank you for your time.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:54 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What happened to my dirt???

I think I'd have it tested one more time. That doesn't sound right.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:27 PM
Fork Horn

I thought that number was crazy also so I went to 8 or 9 other places on my lease that are within half a mile of my plot. ALL of them tested at three to three and a half for the ph. The entire area burned about 4 years ago and maybe that contributes to the low ph. I am not really sure.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:22 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Snook384

I thought that number was crazy also so I went to 8 or 9 other places on my lease that are within half a mile of my plot. ALL of them tested at three to three and a half for the ph. The entire area burned about 4 years ago and maybe that contributes to the low ph. I am not really sure.
The PH of wood ash is about 10.0 So it wasnt fire that caused your issue.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:30 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Snook384

I started my first food plot about 9 months ago. I got my ph near to 7 and fertilized and grew some very nice iron clay peas. A few months later hurricane Faye came through. It drowned my road and I had to replant with brown top millet. It did not grow well. so I retested it last weekend for ph. My ph is now a THREE. I guess Faye destryoed my dirt. So hereare my questions because I do not know how to do the numbers.

How much lime do I need to put down on half an acre to get it back up to 7?

How long will I need to wait for the lime to become intergrated into the soil before planting.

Thank you for your time.
Snook, how did you test? Did you take several samples from different areas of the plot, mix them in a bucket and take a sample from that? Or did you just dig a sample from one spot and send it in? If you tested soon after you limed, you may have gotten a false reading of seven. It takes about 6 months for the Lime to get established in the soil and become "available" for the plants in the root zone.

PH, (roughly translated as the power of Hydrogen), Is a 10 log function. If you have a PH of six, that is TEN times more acidic than a PH of 7. You need roughly 1 ton of lime per acre to raise the PH 1 point. So if you have a PH of 3, you would need four tons of Lime to bring the PH to 7 on 1 acre of soil. Iron clay peas actually like a PH ofabout 5. Be warned though, they need to get established and will not do well if the deer get in them before they get established.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:06 AM
Typical Buck

Did you happen to use one of those probe testers? If so, pitch it and send a sample in to a lab. Your soil doesn't have a Ph of 3.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:49 AM
Fork Horn

I did use a probe tester. I agree that the number of 3.5 seems pretty extreme to me. I calibrated it against a known acid and base and it was pretty spot on. I know that the number is very low and I wonder can earth get that low of a ph?
Old 12-02-2008, 09:49 AM
Typical Buck

Have you calibrated it recently? You could make pickles with a Ph of 3.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:24 AM
Typical Buck

No way that's right, if it is better call in the E.P.A. Have it tested again. Around here(NC) unlimed soil runs around 5.5, most crops wanta PH around 6 - 6.5.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would send a sample to your county extension agent and let them test it. Something doesnt sound right to me either.

Quick Reply: What happened to my dirt???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.