Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

need help.. antler growth/food plots

Old 11-19-2008, 03:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default need help.. antler growth/food plots

does easy plot work? i need something that can help antler growth, and be a food source for them in november? i really need help? mineral licks? put out corn? anything.. thanks.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: need help.. antler growth/food plots

Depending on what kind of food sources they already have, I would use a mineral lick for antler growth. I don't think that you can put any one thing out and expect huge changes, but with time, having some minerals out along with your easy plot should help give them a chance to grow larger racks.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: need help.. antler growth/food plots

I agree that there is no easy fix to grow larger antlers. Year around minerals would help some. Planting food plots that are large enough for the local herd with a variety of forage is a must. I plant a blend of winter oats and wheat with an ovrseed of a white clover. The clover is usually big enough to be grazed in Jan and will supplement the deer with the clover thru the spring when the native food starts growing. The biggest thing you can do for antler growth is control your trigger finger. Shoot him young and he will never grow big.