Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

PLANTING FOR TURKEYS

Old 10-22-2008, 01:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default PLANTING FOR TURKEYS

I have been thinking about food plotting for turkeys here in kansas. i guide, so i am also looking at cost benifit. in some areas the turkey populations are out of control and my problem is that they run out of food and move on to the next land. we need to be doing a lot more quantity control on those areas. In a couple of different places we were looking at placing a food plot to help focus the populations, and also increase their numbers. does anyone have any ideas, or suggestions for me?

in the high turkey population areas there are approx. 150 turkeys roosting in a quarter mile section. durring the day they like to fan out to some other neighboring properties. approx. how big of a food plot would it take to sustain most of the flock through the winter and early spring? there are 3 separate properties with the exact same problem, if i can keep them coming back to the same spot i will have a lot better success rate on these properties.

thanks;
vick
Old 10-22-2008, 06:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: PLANTING FOR TURKEYS

Turkeys have a varied diet, so planting strips of grain, corn and Chufas would work. Planting the Gobbler Sawtooth Oaks would pay off in a few years if you don't have a lot of oaks on the land. For the chufas you could check with one of my neighbors north of DeFuniak Springs, Fl. www.chufa.com
Old 10-24-2008, 01:13 PM
Fork Horn

i just read up on that "chufa" plant. it says you have to scratch the ground so the turkeys and deer will know to dig for the root. is this correct, i would think if the deer wanted it they would be able to smell it under the ground.

how productive is the chufa per acre, does it give them plenty of food or do they destroy the root quickly?

i kind of sounds a little in-efficient?
Old 10-24-2008, 08:59 PM
Typical Buck

Corn and or cow crap .
They love it ...
Old 10-24-2008, 09:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

A chufa is some sort of hybrid nut grass. In good soil there will be hundreds of the chufa nuts on the root system, they are about the size of a pea (+-). The turkeys will find them and scratch up the nuts, good food source. They won't get all of them and you should have a good field for four or so years before you have to plant again, just a little fertilizer. Deer might eat some, but I've never seen a lot of evidence of it.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:25 AM
Fork Horn

thank you for your imput timbercruiser, you are very helpful. i am going to try some chufa and see how it does.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:34 AM

There are many other things that may work as well. Chufa is just the closest thing to a turkey magnet.

Seed bearing crops such as sorgum or milo or sunflowers (if the deer don't eat them all) could be used.

Last summer (2007) I planted a couple tiny sunny places with a slope to south exposure with clover adjancent to area with a lot of thick stuff and a turkey hen found it to her liking and nested nearby this pat spring (also there were acouple gobblers hanging around till I messed up a couple times
Old 11-14-2008, 07:13 PM
Typical Buck

I planted chufa for the first time in June. Just this week the turkeys found it and have started digging it up. It does have to be re-planted each year.

I don't think the deer will bother it, especially in the heavy clay soils of Warren County, NC.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:27 AM
Fork Horn

How does Chufa work with hogs. I know they will eat anything but will it last for any length of time or will it all get rooted out quick. does it plant well in the winter for a spring crop?
Old 11-15-2008, 08:45 AM
Typical Buck

From Seedland's website...

Plant 40 lbs per acre; Food Plots: 2-3 lbs per 1000 sq. ft. Planting Depth of 1½ inches. Plot sizes should be at least 1/4 acre for best results. Maturity takes 100-125 days. Plant spring through summer. (April - August depending on location). Chufas mature in approximately 110-120 days after emergence.

Once the hogs find it, they will decimate it.

Quick Reply: PLANTING FOR TURKEYS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.