Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Protein for the feeder?

Old 04-14-2008, 10:15 AM
Fork Horn

Default Protein for the feeder?

Right now I have a couple of feeders slinging corn. I have a couple of cameras up and man do I have a deer problem. They are hitting my feeders every day, all day, and all night. I have several little bucks getting some camera time and I was wondering what would you guys use to feed them protein to help them grow nice big racks? Also does the protein really help the does? Will protein bring in more deer than just good ole corn (not that I think that is possible right now).

One other thing I just wanted to add. Does a salt block work like a mineral block? Can you get mineral blocks from feed stores? Is there a better composition for mineral blocks and do they list the ingrediants on the packaging like food from a store?

sheesh third time editing this message. Will hogs use a mineral block?

Thanks again.
gl n gh
Old 04-14-2008, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Protein for the feeder?

ORIGINAL: Snook384

Right now I have a couple of feeders slinging corn. I have a couple of cameras up and man do I have a deer problem. They are hitting my feeders every day, all day, and all night. I have several little bucks getting some camera time and I was wondering what would you guys use to feed them protein to help them grow nice big racks? Also does the protein really help the does? Will protein bring in more deer than just good ole corn (not that I think that is possible right now).

One other thing I just wanted to add. Does a salt block work like a mineral block? Can you get mineral blocks from feed stores? Is there a better composition for mineral blocks and do they list the ingrediants on the packaging like food from a store?

sheesh third time editing this message. Will hogs use a mineral block?

Thanks again.
gl n gh
Let's see if we cant help you out a little bit.

There are several protein pellet products out there. Antler King, Purina Deer Chow, and your local feed store may carry a generic kind. If they have protein they will help both bucks and does. They will increase antler growth and mass in the bucks and the protein will help the does while lactating thus resulting in a stronger healthier fawn. Word of caution, protein pellets get mushy and moldy if they are exposed to water, make sure your feeder lid is sealed TIGHT. Also, you may want to mix the protein with the corn initially, this will get the deer used to the pellets if they do not like the taste right away. This has not been a problem in my expeience.

A mineral block does work like a salt block, just more helpful, providing more vitamins and minerals. Your feed store SHOULD have a mineral blocl, but I wouldnt count on it. Also, look at the guaranteed analysis on the mineral blocks. A lot of 'mineral blocks' are just glorified salt blocks, make sure you are getting more than just salt (Calcium, Phosphorus, Magnesium, Zinc).

As far as the hogs go, I cannot help you there.

Hope this helps!