Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

FERTILIZER/LIME QUESTION

Old 04-03-2008, 02:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default FERTILIZER/LIME QUESTION

I just read how if the soil is too acidic then the fertilizer wont work at all.

I am planting a food plot this year, I will be taking my soil sample to K-State this weekend. I will spread lime as soon as they tell me how much i need. I have heard people say on here that the lime takes a while to take effect.

This leads me to my question; first how long will the lime take to start making an impact and how long does it take for it to take full effect. my soil is very moist and rich.

Second question; if I would be throwing money away to apply the fertilizer to it right away then how long should I wait. can or should it be sprayed on the plants later in the spring. I hope it doesn't render this years food plot useless.

I may have to update this post when i get the soil sample back.

If there is any advice you can give or facts about the process that may be helpfully it would be greatly apritiated.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: FERTILIZER/LIME QUESTION

The lime will start changing the ph as soon as it starts dissolving. Farmers doit every year. The lime and fertilizer recommendations will be based on a crop yield for that growingyear. Apply your lime and fertilizer as recommended, you'll be fine.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:38 AM
Fork Horn

THANK YOU WINGBONE
Old 04-04-2008, 08:38 AM

Hydrated lime will take approximately 6-months to fully move the Ph level of your soil. You can put out quick release granualized lime at any time, and the results can be seen in as little as one month.

Take time to do a soil sample and get the results so you know what to put out and when.

Please check out my post - "Food Plot Basics - Do's and Don'ts" for some observations over the past 10+ years. My Fall food plots are doing great this Spring after a second application of fertilizer and lime to make certain that I am in the 6.4 to 6.8 Ph range. There is a lot of great detail in this post. Photo follows:

Old 04-04-2008, 10:54 AM
Fork Horn

thanks steve, i read the whole post, it is the most infomative food plot post i have seen on here yet. thanks for taking the time to share.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:00 PM

You are most welcome; Let me know when I can offer suggestions on seed selection and planting seasons..............