Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

food plots near deer trails

Old 03-09-2008, 06:47 AM

Default food plots near deer trails

I have some great food plot spots with great stand/blind locations. there are deer trails all over though and i wondered if i could plant over the trails? (they are pretty heavily used) if it is not a good idea to plant over the trails could i leave around 5 yards on either side of the deer trail where i dont plant? and continue planting everywhere else? i hope this makes sense
Old 03-09-2008, 07:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: food plots near deer trails

Just clear offa spot for your plot and plant it. I wouldn't worry about the location of a trail in the immediate vicinity, they will adjust to it.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:35 AM

so your saying just go over the trail with my plot and not worry bout it?
Old 03-09-2008, 11:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yep, that is what I would do.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

ya they should ajust and still be close to the original trail
Old 03-09-2008, 12:39 PM

all right so ill go over it
Old 03-09-2008, 12:40 PM

what would you guys reccommend planting?
Old 12-07-2009, 10:12 PM
Spike

Similar to those moments, my 2007 deer hunt will be the one which seals the deal on what will be my exploration of the tradition for decades to come. For richer or for poorer (the former for experiences in the outdoors, and the latter for my pocketbook,) I have been stricken with buck fever and have been greedily snatching up my old magazines I donated to the lake cabin magazine rack, pricing out new equipment and reading everything I can to become a better hunter next year.

One such reading has me intrigued in that Do-It-Yourself way – an article on stand hunting over a food plot. My fiance’s father has 40 acres of woods on his property, and while visiting over the Thanksgiving holiday, my soon-to-be brother-in-law, Adam and I walked the land looking for deer signs, and perhaps a place to plant such a plot. Upon our arrival, his dad told us that any time from the afternoon into the early morning hours, a herd of does and yearlings was somewhere around his property, but he had never seen any bucks and seriously doubted their existence. He gave us the go-ahead to investigate, and if we decided to, plant such a hunting plot.

The land around his property consisted of similar poplar and pine forested areas to the north and west and a clear-cut area where cattle grazed some half-mile to the east. Beyond the county road south of his house wound the upper reaches of a river but as the land surrounding it was owned by a corporation, no one was able to access it for hunting purposes. Adam reported seeing large numbers of deer on many morning drives along the property.
=======================
buying steroids
winnebago parts
Old 12-10-2009, 01:35 PM
Fork Horn

If you're concerned about obstructing/tearing up a deer trail, I wouldn't sweat it too much. I found this out this season to my chagrin my my dad's ranch hand got loose with a bulldozer. /sigh

Anyhow, he leveled alot of the bruch around my stand but within a a few days the same deer were getting there. I could be wrong but it seems to me that deer really only respond to direct stimuli as such...IE, they see you, smell you, hear you. I don't know for certain....those big bucks are big for a reason.