Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

clearing land for a food plot

Old 02-14-2008, 01:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default clearing land for a food plot

OK i am looking at buying some land and i think i will get it done this year.
Properly be in there by may or June

I wont to clear some land of woods and what ever thicket is there for a food plot for bow maybe muzzle loader.

If i go in cut the tree down dig the stumps out and burn it off plant a food plot and so on.
Will it be OK for hunting in say 4 to 6 months or is that to much activity and change for them to handle for one season and i should wait until next season.

Also if you were going to bow hunt maybe muzzle loader hunt on say 10 to 15 acre area
Would you muzzle loader hunt in your bow plot or build two plot one on one side of the land the other on the other side.
With one hunter maybe two in the same spot sometimes
Old 02-14-2008, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: clearing land for a food plot

It is hard to say what this much activity will do to the deer. I guess it would depend on how big of an area you are talking about. I have a buddy that tried this a few years back. It bought 50 acres, all timber and went in and made 5 plots about 1 acre a piece. The first year he seen very little deer hunting on the plots, but it has gotten better and better each year after. I think it would take some time for the deer to begin to use the plots and trust they are safe. If you are planning this for long term usage, I would say go for it, just don't expect too much out of the first year.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

i do everything long term more so when it comes to hunting or land
when i was in ky i cleaned off land burned weeds out dug out a shallow pond
and pushed the deer away for the year sad thing is a month after i did this the owner came by said i am selling it then got mad a moved because i did not like putting work into land and a house i would lose soon
Old 02-14-2008, 02:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

i will do this for the long term i will own the land most likly for life i guest i can do all the work and lose the land for a year and then let it start paying off next season.
i have spent 4 years hunting puplic land.
Changeing state or moving by 100s of miles ever since i started hunting.
this year will be the first time i hunt land two years in a row
i have some privit land i can hunt that i do not own. so i think it is worth the loss of a year or two
Old 02-14-2008, 07:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

We do dozier and excavator work all the time and usually overnight the deer will be all over the place where the work is done. They are curious and if there is foliage they like they will eat right off the downed trees and bushes. Go ahead and get an excavator when you start to clear if the trees are very big. They will work circles around a dozer getting trees out. Another thing, don't cut the trees, just let flag off the area you want cleared and let the excavator do the work.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

i had planed to get a excavator and maybe a dozer
i need to remove 4 tree stumps at my house so good time to do it

I figure with the excavator it will make it easy to remove stumps and make brush lines to get the deer to come in a set trail
ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

We do dozier and excavator work all the time and usually overnight the deer will be all over the place where the work is done. They are curious and if there is foliage they like they will eat right off the downed trees and bushes. Go ahead and get an excavator when you start to clear if the trees are very big. They will work circles around a dozer getting trees out. Another thing, don't cut the trees, just let flag off the area you want cleared and let the excavator do the work.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:35 AM

Spend your time and money to get it built this year, and you will probably have to lime and fertilize, and that will take a little while to work. Hopefully you can get some growth this year. I wouldnt even hunt it this year even if you do get something to grow. They will use it some, and as they get more used to it, and continue to feed there undisturbed, by next year they will be much more comfortable using the plot and more likeley to use it in daylight hours. It will be worth it to sacrifice a year of hunting the property, especially if you have another place to hunt. It will be even better next year. Good luck.