Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Food Plot Question

Old 02-08-2008, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Food Plot Question

Last Year I started planting a couple food plots. They turned out pretty decent but I would like to see more deer hit it.

I mixed in turnips, oats for cover, clover, and rape all together and planted it around the end of July.

One spot it grew really good and it was planted on the edge of a corn field. They really didn't hit it much till really late on in the year. I guess I am looking for something they hit early in Sept Oct. Does anyone have any suggestions?

The other 2 spots were in the woods and it was the 1st time I disked it up. One turned out pretty good but I think I need to add lime to it. I did add fertilizer to all 3 of them but not lime.

I live in Central WI. If anyone has suggestions I would like to hear them. Thanks!
Old 02-08-2008, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Food Plot Question

The clover is a perrenial so that will continue to take root and grow thicker. But mow it once in a while to allow the tender new growth come up. When planting oats in our area (I am in Buffalo county) you ideally want to plant it around early to mid august. That way when the season starts it will be young and tender. Yours planted in may most likely went to seed and was not as palatable to the deer. I would stick with the clover (did you plant white clover?) and plant the oats again. But sept oct the farms still have lots of crops in the fields so you will be competing with them. I have had success with brassica also.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:43 PM
Fork Horn

make sure you have a soil test done. not sure where you are from but in kentucky its way too hot and usually in a drought to plant in july we have to plant around last of september. if you can give me some info about ur soil and the climate i might can help. as for wanting more deer to come to it. just takes time and you need good cover moderately close to it.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: turkeyslayer15

make sure you have a soil test done. not sure where you are from but in kentucky its way too hot and usually in a drought to plant in july we have to plant around last of september. if you can give me some info about ur soil and the climate i might can help. as for wanting more deer to come to it. just takes time and you need good cover moderately close to it.
The soil is really good there....the farmers land I hunt on is great...I had him leave a section for me on the side of the field...Usually get rain couple times a week in aug/sept
Old 02-11-2008, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dabowhunter

The clover is a perrenial so that will continue to take root and grow thicker. But mow it once in a while to allow the tender new growth come up. When planting oats in our area (I am in Buffalo county) you ideally want to plant it around early to mid august. That way when the season starts it will be young and tender. Yours planted in may most likely went to seed and was not as palatable to the deer. I would stick with the clover (did you plant white clover?) and plant the oats again. But sept oct the farms still have lots of crops in the fields so you will be competing with them. I have had success with brassica also.
I am not sure what clover it was. I planted it right next to a corn field so I guess I there would be a lot of competition.
Thanks!
Old 02-11-2008, 03:10 PM
Fork Horn

Any late planting of legumes will work great on the early season.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:22 PM

turnips, oats, and rape is winter forage. they wont touch it until it gets a certian sugar level in the plants.

soybeans in the spring, winter wheat or rie in the fall.

good luck on it.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:02 AM
Spike

the turnips and rape wont convert starches to sugar until they get a hard freeze. down here in florida, we've used it in the past, but without much success. also when it comes to the broadleaf brassicas and such, the deer usually take a year or two to figure it out. once they do, they will eat it much better.
brian
Old 03-04-2008, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fall plots of Rye or Forage Oats (Sept 1 planting in my area) are usually good fall attractants after 6 weeks of growth. Brassicas look good - but my deer never toch them until December Snows. Areas with less forage or farmland might be different.

Tough to beat a good perennial Clover plot for Spring/Summer/Fall.

FH