Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Cost sky rocketing

Old 02-06-2008, 06:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Cost sky rocketing

I plant six acres per year Rotating crops as necessary, but this year some stuff is off.
Triple 19 the common fertilizer for corn went for $265.00 per ton last year to over six hundred this year.
One unit of roundup ready corn is $225.00 this year ,was $115.00 last year.One unit plants three acres.
Generic roundup such as Ranger or any of the other is high but still reasonable but if you wait availability will be questionable at best ,better to buy early than to miss out.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:03 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Cost sky rocketing

It's tough on me as well. I operate a lawn spraying business and my chemical and fertilizer costs have gone up at least 50%. The 28-0-0 liquid was about $259, now $389/ton. Glysophate was $37.50, now $62.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have you guys seen any change in pulverized lime?

Old 02-06-2008, 06:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Bawanajim, everything has gone sky high.Feeder cornhas nearly doubled in price from last year. Am now using corn mixed 50/50 with deer and elk pellets. The pellets are just a little more expensive than corn and are 20% protein. The deer love the stuff. We fill the feeders in mid September and keep them full until about April. They are used to supplement the deers diet and to keep them onour places. We do not shoot deer anywhere near the feeders.

Corn will not grow here.Clover andalfalfawill not grow well here unless it is a very wet year. I like milo and cowpeas or claypeas planted together. The peas climb the milo stalks.We plant before the grass gets established in the spring. For the fall plots we do not plant until the grass goes dormant. Have neverused any type of control for grass and weeds.For a fall plot oats works well here. Have seen the deer walk acrossthe neighbors wheat field to get at the oats on one of our places. Oats might freeze out in PA though.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rick James

Have you guys seen any change in pulverized lime?

I'm hearing about $45 per ton spread,with a 20 ton min.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:20 PM
Fork Horn

I priced some 17-17-17 and some seed and stuff. Man this stuff has went up over 50% since last September. It's out of control, the cost on just about everything.

And I know that fertilizer will be higher come planting time.