Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

A Thank You and some Apple tree questions

Old 02-08-2003, 12:21 AM

Default RE: A Thank You and some Apple tree questions

Dan O, I assume when spraying the grass around the trees you would suggest Round-up? Spraying is what I had in mind, as a cage will prevent mowing close. I am thinking I will need to cage my trees, not because of browsing, but to keep the bucks from rubbing them to death. The bucks have rubbed several of the maples I have planted in my current yard, only about 15 yards from the house. I was going to use a tree wrap for rabbits and mice, would it provide any protection from rubs? Also, you said earlier that a tree would provide a snack in 2-3 years. About how many apples would one generally expect under normal conditions, a grocery sack full, bushel basket? Thanks again for the help, its nice to get advice from somebody who isnt trying to sell me something.

Join the NRA!
Old 02-08-2003, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A Thank You and some Apple tree questions

Roundup is the recommended spray. Make a guard from half of a stove pipe. You can put the guard up against the tree to keep the spray off. Other people use 5 gallon plastic pails with the bottom cut out. I don't like them because spray on the pail can wipe on the tree. Even better than spraying is putting a 4-6" thick mulch of wood chips around the trees. It retains moisture, shades the soil, and provides a good envirinment for soil bacteria and organisms.

Hanging deodorant soap or putting hair trimmings around the trees will help keep deer away. You should harvest a 6 quart basket or two from dwarf trees in 2-3 years if you give them adequite attention.

Making posts and sharing your experiences is your payment on this forum.

Dan O.