Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

how do you become a deer biologist?

Old 11-27-2007, 01:16 PM

Default how do you become a deer biologist?

to anyone who can help, I have always loved deer, actually stupid about it I guess. I am wanting to change my major and become a deer biologist. Does anyone out here know any processes or ideas on how it works???? Whatyou have to go into, or any advice??
Old 11-27-2007, 01:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: how do you become a deer biologist?

I could be wrong, but i doubt that you could specifically major in Deer biology as an undergraduate. Rather, you would do some sort of general biology or wildlife biology program and try to focus some of your research or coursework on the topic of deer. You can always research various academic departments and see if they have faculty who specialize in deer.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:47 PM
Typical Buck

I am a student at Virginia Tech and I am majoring in crop producion. I would like to further my education by majoring in Whitetail Biology but I am not sure what schools in Virginia offer this major. Do you have any ideas as to what schools might offer this major in Virginia?
- Tyler Knarr 11/29/2004, ID=2378

[blockquote]Tyler: Of all the questions I receive on deer, this has to be one of the most commonly asked. If you are a "deer-a-holic", colleges such as Mississippi State University, University of Georgia, or Texas A&M would be good choices. Although you may want to stay in Virginia their schools are not known as the better deer colleges. Please listen to me. If you are really interested in deer biology, you MUST go elsewhere! Employers are always looking for job experience and diversity. The best decision I have ever made in my college career was to switch schools from Penn State to Texas A&M to West Virginia. Yes, I was a professional student for 8 1/2 years.
Because of the intense competition within the profession, plan on going for a Master's degree in wildlife management/biology. Sure you can get a job with a 4-year degree, but nowadays most folks are looking for advanced degrees. You should know that the wildlife profession does NOT pay very well. In fact, you can plan on eating pinto beans and cornbread for years. But, if you want it, and I mean really want it, the job as a wildlife biologist has many benefits. Once you get a job your next challenge is convincing your spouse that your work is not only your hobby, but your hobby is your work! Good luck and keep the fire burning!
C.J. Winand - Wildlife Biologist

[/blockquote]
Old 11-27-2007, 05:33 PM

I am gonna try the University of Tennessee Tech route. It kinda sucks about him saying you dont make a lota money, but if you can land a job that you love, I guess that is all that matters. I was gonna go for Wildlife Sciences and try my best to get a masters in it. My fiance is getting a B.A. in nursing, so maybe a alright paying job with do alright, cause I am sure she will be making alot more than I will obviously. I just know that I love all aspects of deer, hunting, and the outdoors, so this should be a awesome fit!! if anyone else has anything to throw at me, all this is helping out tremendously, I have actually shot a email at Dr. James Kroll, but I havent recieved a reply yet. Hopefully he cant shine some more light on the process.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

I know Mississippi State and Auburn have deer pens and do a lot of work in those areas. Why would you chose Tennessee Tech?
Old 11-27-2007, 09:50 PM
Typical Buck

Come to UW-Stevens Point! 2nd largest college of natural resources in the nation! awesome wildlife bio program, and we have TONS of deer here in WI. I'm majoring in forest management myself.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:19 PM

well, for one I am on a Budget, and since I live in the great state of Tennessee,that pretty much has to be the route, cause out of state tuition isnt pretty anywhere. Wish i was rich tho. but i also would like to work all over but i would love to be able to help the deer herd here in tennessee. You here about trophy bucks all over the place, BUT HERE. I mean occasionally a few come and go, and actually a whole differnt story, i just pretty much let another man kill a 16 point i have been eyeing all season out from under me this week. That just fueled my fire even more. But keep coming with the info, like I said, this is gonna possibly be my career and i want to know all i can know about it.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:48 AM
Fork Horn

If you were in Texas, I would tell you to take a look at Sul Ross. The main professor is very well known and rspected. He gave two great talks at this years National Wildlife Society's Convention in Tuscon, Arizona.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:55 AM
Fork Horn

And I forgot go the web site for The Wildlife Society and it will show you classes that you must take to become a biologist. Here is the link for it. www.wildlife.org