Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

THROW N GROW

Old 07-17-2007, 08:31 AM

Default THROW N GROW

I'M PUTTING IN SOME NEW PLOTS (CLOVER MIX ON ONE, BUCKWHEAT ON ANOTHER). I WAS AT "THE WALMART" YESTERDAY AND THEY HAD THROW AND GROW AND IT WAS PRETTY CHEAP. I THOUGHT TO THROW SOME ALONG SOME TRAILS ETC. THE INGREDIENTS SAID APPROX. 86% RYE GRASS THOUGH. HAS ANYONE HAD ANY LUCK WITH RYE GRASS??
OR SHOULDN'T I BOTHER???
I
Old 07-17-2007, 03:21 PM

Default RE: THROW N GROW

It will probably work some if you have some sunlight. I would at least tear the soil up with a toothed rake before throwing or it won't be growing. I used the hotspot product last year which is similar and it cam up pretty well using this method.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Normally - I think you'd get a bunch of folks knocking this product on this site - and for good reason.

I'm not sure why the site is so slow- but Rye Grass is not a preffered deer food. They might nibble on it when its young. It makes a good seeding for lawns or for erosion control on steep banks - it comes up quickly and requires nominal nutrients to grow - but its not a good deer food source. Don't waste your money and food plot site on this type of product.

Cereal Rye (not Rye grass)is another story though. Its more like Wheat - and can be a good fall planting.

FH
Old 07-18-2007, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought some throw and grow and its rediculous how much rye grass seed is in there. The clover and the brassica plants dont grow very big and are usually over crowded by the grass so I wont ever buy it again unless its dirt cheap.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:53 AM

THANKS FARM HUNTER, ETAL
I GUESS I SHOULD HAVE BEEN A LITTLE MORE CLEAR. I KNOW I CAN GET RYE GRASS TO GROW. WHAT I WAS WONDERING WAS WHETHER WHITETAIL WOULD EVEN GIVE IT A SECOND LOOK. THANX.