Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Question about my Roundup ready bean and corn plot?

Old 06-06-2007, 10:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default Question about my Roundup ready bean and corn plot?

Got a question about my rr bean and corn plot. I have a little over an acre planted in 3 areas of a growed up bottom field. Things are looking good after this much needed rain the past 10 days or so.
I have read positives of two different ways of thinking as in when to spray my plots. Should I spray now to kill many weeds that are growing too? Or should I wait till sometime in July to spray for the first time. The thinking in waiting to spray, is to let the weeds help hide the young tender beans from the deer and over browsing!
Old 06-06-2007, 11:27 PM

Default RE: Question about my Roundup ready bean and corn plot?

I've planted for several years now, and had farmers that have planted rr ready bean and corn do my plotsfor me as well....Both my farmer friends, who have done it since this seed was engineered, and myself spray at the same time the seed is drilled....don't worry about shading the seed, what you need to worry about is your weeds and other grasses taking the nutrients away...that's why you spray round up to begin with, to kill out anything that's harmful, that will choke out the seed and take it nutrients away...you need to spray as soon as you can...Your seed will grow no matter what as long as the weeds and grasses are dead, by the time your seed would be up enough for shade to matter, they would done be robbed, and that's what would hurt them and that's what makes the difference...
Old 06-07-2007, 07:48 AM
Spike

Soybean weed management is critical in the first 6 weeks after emergence. This is when the plant can suffer yield loss by weed competition. The weeds are also competing for nutrients and water. On the other side, if you have a soybean variety that will make up for early season competition such as a forage type, then leaving the weeds for a couple of weeks may reduce deer damage. If you time your gyphosate to just prior to canopy closure, then you can get by with one spraying. This can be argued that you are promoting weed resistance by doing so. Weeds should be sprayed according to size and not crop age. Most herbicides are labeled on weeds when they are 2-4" in height. With a product like Glyphosate, it only kills what is up the day you spray. It has spoiled most farmers by not having to scout for weed species anymore. We have been putting pressure on weed resistance for many years. Fortunately, there are still several good tank mix partners and preemerge chemicals still available for soybean.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I plant by June 1st - I try to spray by July 4th (4 weeks after planting)

In some years - (if its wet) - it probably pays to spray earlier to get theweeds before thay get to 6"- BUT - the beans are faaaaar from canopy stageat3 weeks- soWe try to hold off spraying until4-5 weeks after plantingso the beans can canopy out - before the weeds get going again in Late July.

If all is perfect - we get by with ONE spraying - some years we need another in Mid July.

FH
Old 06-15-2007, 03:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

spray them as soon as you can, too much competition
Old 06-16-2007, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

My Bio-Maxx plot has only been up for a few weeks and I ended up treating it with Roud-Up just last weekend. It looks like it's doing well, this photo is from yesterday.

Old 06-17-2007, 10:37 PM
Fork Horn

I sprayed mine last saturday. Thanks for all the advice. Lack of rain has mine in bad shape!
Old 06-18-2007, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Finally gonna get some rain today but the weather station said some of the storms may be severe. Atleast my plots are finally going to get a much needed drink! Now, the concern will be that the bottom doesn't flood out tonight! LOL... knowing my luck....
Old 06-19-2007, 03:12 AM
Fork Horn

Spread 300 lbs of fertilizer monday morning. Got 3/10ths of rain monday afternoon and just had a nice rain come thru at about 2:30 am tuesday. That should help out a bunch!! Can't wait to see the plot in about a week!