Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Our 2007 Plots - 8-20 *New* Update with Pictures (go to end page 2!)

Old 06-15-2007, 09:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 2007 Plots - 6-10 Update & Pictures as they come

Yes Monte - it was a late July planting last year. We are going to try it again in a couple places. We'll spray Roundup in the next 1-2 weeks - and disk it out - and broadcast/cultipack. We want a brassica plot somewhere every year - because it seems like the deer need to get used to it more than any other plot we've planted -

You can see from these pictures how they dug through the snow to winter browse this plot to the ground - so it has good merit.

1-28-07 - notice not very much ate:

3-30-07 - Receding Snows:

4-29-07 - Note - NOTHING green left.

FH

Old 07-01-2007, 09:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 2007 Plots - 7-1 Update with Pictures

Well - Its been really Dry - Good for corn - but not great for Soybeans & clover. Still I'm happy with the results thus far this year. Below is an update on this year's plots.

We sprayed Roundup Last Week (6/24) on all the Corn & Soybeans. In One week - the results were obvious.

We also mowed some clover plots:

and put in a Mini-Plot of clover mix (Alsike, IWC, Birdsfoot trefoil)

6-10-07 - sprayed with Hand Sprayer

Disked - Cultipacked, Limed, fertilized & broadcast 6-24 (1/4 acre elongated plot - by far our smallest - andHopefully aLowland Kill Plot Next to the Beaver Pond.

Thats it so far. Several plots I did not take pictures of - Mostly the Spring Planted clover plots - there isn't much to show yet except ragweed, and tiny clovers.

FH

Old 07-22-2007, 10:50 AM
8mm
Typical Buck

nice plot farm good luck bud
Old 07-22-2007, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 2007 Plots - 7-22 New Update with Pictures

Not much narration - just some updated pictures. Things are looking pretty good. Two new clover plots are Strong, One other is weak (2 acres). Has alot to do with Moisture & Ph - but I'm confident that all three will be good plotsby next year.

The Soybeans are getting broswed hard(3 acres) - hopefully the emerging clover plots will take somepressure off the beans.

The Cornis ahead of schedule.

Several more pics coming - PHOTOBUCKET is having issues.

FH
Old 07-22-2007, 10:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 2007 Plots - 7-22 New Update with Pictures

Looking good Farm hunter!!
Old 07-23-2007, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Couple more that I couldn't get loaded last night.

This last one is the clover plot - that was interseeded in last year's July 30th Brassica Planting. To follow this picture are two pictures of the same plot last fall and this past Spring. The clover came in nice, We were worried!

Same Plot Last Sept - We've only Mowed since:

Same Plot last March - Doesn't look like much clover took- does it:

FH

Old 07-29-2007, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

At the End of July - we plant brassicas, at least we have for the last couple years. This year we Mowed and sprayed Roundup on 3 Plot sites at the end of June - about 3 acres total. This past week we disked them up, and rolled and planted.

We used a new mix (Biologic Green Patch Plus) in two spots - it has several brassica and clover varieties - but also a wheat/oat mix. Its early to plant grains here - but we are going to give it a go anyhow, and see how it goes.

The other site got a more traditional turnip, rapeseed, brassica mix + some clover overseeded.

Things are looking good. About 15 acres of corn, clover, soybeans & brassicas are being maintained this year. Plus - we mow "fallow ground" (mostly grasses) on the pipeline and the poorer pars of other fields ( another 10-12 acres).

Here are pictures from this week.

FH
Old 08-10-2007, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: MY 2007 Plots - 8-10 *New* Update with Pictures (go to page 3)

Mid August!

This is the time of year when the plots start to look really nice.

2 more weeks and the clovers will get a final Mowing. All the Spraying is done - and no more planting this year!

Here's a look at Our Plots from today:

The Soybeans FINALLY filled in - they had been heavily browsed until the last 2 weeks - when theygainedground on the deer! We were thinking that 2 acres wasn't enough this year.

The Corn has Tassled - ears are developing. My son (11 yrs) helped us a bit this year.

The 3Brassica plots have Germinated - The First Plot is 3/4 acre mostly inside a 2 acre corn plot - Kind of a Hidden Field.

The clovers are doing well, but need to be mowed. I haven't any new pics today. I do have a couple pictures of my "Mini Plot" down near the Beaver pond. You'll remember that I hand sprayed it and disced it up and planted it in June. I'm putting in a "box stand" to hunt this kill plot with my son, or on rainy days.

That is it for right now. I'll have some of the clover plot pictures after the last mowing in a couple weeks.

FH
Old 08-11-2007, 09:16 AM

Awesome plots man!!! I wish I had the land and the equipment yall have there. Owell I will hopefully have that sometime in my future. After school and allThe plot that is inside the corn I think will be one of your best chances for a deer. The corn gives them that great security feeling and with brassicas that will just draw them in.
Cant wait to see some more pics in the future of these plots!
Good Luck
Old 08-21-2007, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Couple more pictures from this weekend. The Soybeans are getting really really hammered. most of the 2-3 acres is lass than knee high - some only anle high as a result - but thats why we plant it!

I'll post clover pictures next week. We are 1/2 way done with FINAL mowing of the clover for the year. Some has done reall well, some is still weak, but firmly etablished.

FH

Quick Reply: Our 2007 Plots - 8-20 *New* Update with Pictures (go to end page 2!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.