Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

lots of plot work, need some advice

Old 05-06-2007, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: lots of plot work, need some advice

falcon,

You crack me up. I responded to a thread saying that (1) biologists were (in some cases, obviously not yours) worth it, (2) try to find a cheaper local biolgist or another knowledgeable landowner (if he lived in our area I would tell him what I know), or (3) buy some books on the topic. Then you come on here and start bashing the use of a biologist, someone whose life's work is just this sort of stuff. I have no problem admitting that some people might know more about certain things than me.

My dad, who hired the guy, does not have the fanciest truck, has an old 4 wheeler, and is a fairly frugal guy. The same people criticizing this 2k expenditure drive around in trucks with 5k worth of accessories. Our land is made up of swamp, old timber, farming/soybeans, and about 4 different ages of CRP. We had a lot of issues with the variety and where under a contract to plant CRP on our land. The biologist helped a lot with where to locate new CRP, what mix to put in CRP, told us to replant some bad CRP, etc.

It really wasn't about how to grow a foodplot. We know how to do that. Usually the only issue with that is if the weather is going to cooperate.

Based on your angry posts about your neighbor, it sounds like your 2k would be better spent on fences anyway.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: lots of plot work, need some advice

"Based on your angry posts about your neighbor, it sounds like your 2k would be better spent on fences anyway."

Not my neighbor, out of area trespassers.I do have all new fences, thanks for your concern. Take a look at the1994 Toyota pickup that i have owned for nearly 12 years on the "what do you drive thread." Then there is that confiscated Polaris04 that the judge told me to keep.

Glad what your Dad is doing is working for you. What we are doing here is working great for us. Have a nice life.