Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Deer Attractant in Wet Area

Old 04-27-2007, 11:42 AM

Default Deer Attractant in Wet Area

I am looking for ideas to draw and hold deer in a wetland area. The majority of the land is low and holds water most of the spring and into early summer due to a natural spring. The deer do travel through the land based on paths that they have created.I have also put out a trail camera which indicates that there are deer on the land as well. However, during hunting season last fall we did not see too much other than a few does and fawns. This land is located in Minnesota. I would like to get a plot planted, but would like to hear any ideas out there.

Thanks!!
Old 04-27-2007, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer Attractant in Wet Area

A friend of mine has a small pond that drys up in July, we ran a hose down to a spot to create a small puddle about six feet by six feet. I have never seen a bettor attractant for deer before. Just an idea, I dont know what you could plant.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:11 PM

dlloyd, there is a plant called Aeschynomene, also known as American joint vetch that is supposed to do well under wet or flooded areas. I've never planted any so can't expand on this. 4 years ago I had a 2 acre lake rebuilt and before it filled up I planted Japanese Millet on the mud flats. Jap millet is a popular food source for ducks when flooded, but the deer would not stay out of it. It is very easy to grow, 45 to 60 days to maturity and very inexpensive. A 50 lb. bag is about $25 to $30 dollars and will easily plant 2 acres. Most clovers will tolerate some wetness but not flooding. Hope this helps.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:43 AM

Antler Addict -

Do you know if either of these plants suitable for the Minnesota climate?

Thanks!

Old 04-30-2007, 04:03 PM

dlloyd, do a google search on the joint vetch. I have never planted any so have no experience. I know state highway departments plant it for beautification and erosion control and itis supposed to have some nutritional benefits for deer. The japanese millet should do well in your area. You would want to plan the timing in planting it though. The seed head is the attractive part that the deer would like. Also theturkeys and doves will find it. I plant mine in midAugust so it is mature by midOctober. If is not mature with the seed head developed the first frost will keep it from maturing. It is also an annual so you would only get one year out of it. You could plant it in your area any time the soil temps are around 60 and the chances of frost are gone but it probably won't give you a hunting plot come this fall if you plant in early.