Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Roundup ready soybeans

Old 04-09-2007, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Roundup ready soybeans

Thinking of trying roundup ready soybeans in a few days.....was wondering if anyone has tried them.

Apparantly when the seeds germinate, you wait a little while for the weeds to come in, then use an application of roundup to kill them off....All without hurting the soybean sprouts.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Roundup ready sooybeans

Scroll down through my Blog Link:

http://foodplot.blogspot.com/

You will see some soybean information that I posted - and pictures at various stages. I LOVE RR Soybeans - they have changed food ploting for us - especially because where they were the year before is PERFECT for frost seeding or spring planting clover.

We plant - CORN (2-3 years)- rotate to Soybeans (2 years) - rotate clover - 3-4 years.

Theonly hard plowing we have anymore is the 1st year we plant corn.

FH
Old 04-10-2007, 05:18 AM

they work pretty good. try doing a fall planting so there green during hunting season
Old 04-10-2007, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info FH, that's a pretty impressive link.

I'll plant 3 acres with the RRS, but as a precaution I'm going to use DUEL as a pre-immergent. Last year I had alot of problems with nut grass.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

RR anything is the way to go, it is a no brainer when it comes to weed control, We plant several hundred acres of soybeans everyyear and we use RR , Dekalb or Asgrow brand by Monsanto ( the same co that makes roundup)
Old 04-14-2007, 08:17 PM

Pigiron, have you grown rr before. have you ever used Dual before. It is rather pricey. The cheapest alternative would be let the soybeans come out of the ground then spray Sequence overhead (Dual / Touchdown) combination. Touchdown is Syngenta's alternative to Roundup it is safe for all roundup reay crops. The Dual is cheaper to put out this way. we do a lot of cotton and soybeans like this and use it in corn with atrazine added. Usually 1 shot of roundup followed by another shot two weeks later will take care of nutgrass.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Roundup ready soybeans

I have not planted rr soybeans before, but I don't mind spending the extra money for the duel. I really just want a perfect field, on a spring planting. I've had good success plantingfall clover plots w/perrenial rye mixed with it. Last years spring planting was a mess. That nut grass came up thicker than hair on a dog's back.(3 acres of soybeans & alphalpha) You really don't think I need the duel? My experiance w/ roundup is that it doesn't always do the job 100%, plus nut and coffee grass are one of the hadest weedsto control.(at least in Jersey)
Old 04-15-2007, 08:58 AM

Dual is not the greatest thing on nutgrass. I didn't say dont use it but if you do I was trying to tell you that using Sequence would be a be a cheaper alternative. Dual can be tough on crops if put out preplant and you have the wrong weather after planting.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've tried dozens of diferent plot seeds and THE most effective planting we still maintain every season is RR Soybeans! They are THE best fall attraction we've seen. To make the plot even more impressive try broadcasting a turnip or other brassica mix among the beans in July. Your plot will be incredible! Good luck
Old 04-21-2007, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK, Got it right now.

Feel pretty dumb.....SOYBEANS......sooybeans.

Appreciate everyone for letting me ride on that for so long!

Quick Reply: Roundup ready soybeans

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.