Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Predators

Old 03-27-2007, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Predators

On our lease, we have lots of coyotes, and we were thinking of re-introducing quail there, but there are lots of coyotes and bobcats, and they never seem to come when we try to call them.

How should we get rid of these things?
Old 03-27-2007, 06:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Predators

I don't know if you can really get rid of coyotes. You may get a few, but most likely you won't really make a dent in the population. Game biologist tell me that it is almost impossible to reintroduce quail to an area. Most people give up and shoot flight pen quail instead. Hawks are more of a problem on quail than anything else.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:47 AM
Fork Horn

have you tried to get a dead cow or some other animal to use to bait for the coyote and bobcat? Easy meal they should come in to feed.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like was said - Hawks & owls are the biggest problem in most areas since the bannning of DDT.

Coyotes might eat quail - but most of the year they are on other foods and not targeting birds. How big a problem can bobcats be really? Probably House cats are a bigger concern.

Good luck with the program - I'd probably work on planting excellent quail cover crops like native grasses and sorghum. Also encouraging hedgerow growth.

FH
Old 03-27-2007, 06:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Predators only eat the quail they can catch. If you have good quail habitat, the quail will survive the predators. And their are many other predators that are as much, if not more, of a threat to quail than coyotes and bobcats. Here, coons, skunks, and birds of prey all make a lot bigger dent in the quail population than the few bobcats we have. Coyotes aren't a major predator, either.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:09 AM
Fork Horn

Coons are a very big predator...I wouldn't worry about the coyotes to much... but the bobcats, coons and owls is what i would be concerned with.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, I didn'tthinkraccoons were a big quail predator but now that you mention it, that makes sense.

Looks like I have some raccoon hunting ahead of me this spring!

Old 04-04-2007, 12:03 PM

Get a good spotlight and start spotlighting them several times a week. And try to find their dens so you can kill the pups. If you need to, lay a dead animal out as bait. If you shoot them nonstop, you'll eventually have the problem under control.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

"Hawks are more of a problem on quail than anything else." Yes, they are. Really tall grass does provide a lot of protection from hawks.

Armadillos, possums and coons tear up the nests. Ravens kill quail, especially pen raised quail. On our place we have coveys of naturally wild quail as well as pen raisedquail from wild parents. We do shoot every possum,
coon, raven and armadillo we see. Have killed about 30 coyotes on the place since 2001. Actually it is rare to see a coyote track there now.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:07 AM

Now, Im not sure if this is true but it could work.

Put a bowl on anti-freeze out on a log and the coyotes will drink it because its so sweet, and the deer will leave it alone.

Im not sure if that actually works that is just what some guy told me. Good luck though

Quick Reply: Predators

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.