Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Clover

Old 02-27-2007, 11:52 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Default Clover

Can i plant clover and chicory on some what shaded logging roads. One area will get a decent amount of sun the other will be more shaded, The area is about 12 ft. x 450ft. Any ideas will help. Roads will be groomed this spring. Thanks Rich
Old 02-27-2007, 04:11 PM

Default RE: Clover

RWK, I planted a new logging road last spring with a 50-50 mix of Tecomate Bucks and Bosses and Durana Clover. My pH was 5.8 and I was very happy with the results. The deer have a path worn down the middle of it and are also browsing it fairly well. You can get more info on Tecomate.com and Penningtonseeds.com on these two products.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you have partial sun (1/3 to 1/2) try to plant the strip. Less direct light will usually mean more soil moisture which may help your growth.

Dan O.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:46 PM
Fork Horn

A few years back we tried planting clover on a logging road and it didn't grow. I think it depends on exactly how much sun it gets and I guess ours didn't get enough. So....I think the only way you'll know is to give it a try.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:24 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: RWK Can i plant clover and chicory on some what shaded logging roads. One area will get a decent amount of sun the other will be more shaded, The area is about 12 ft. x 450ft. Any ideas will help. Roads will be groomed this spring. Thanks Rich
It would help to know where your are, edit your profile to show at leastyour state.

Does grooming mean raking or disking? If you are in a northern state I might recommend spraying with round up twice during the summer. Then end of August broadcast winter rye grain, rake/disk it in shallow. The broadcast Alsike clover over the top and pray for rain. The Rye and Alsike will grow in poor soil, with or with out lime and fertilizer applied as recommended from a soil test.

The Rye will provide browse for fall and spring, then die next summer. The Alsike will get a start in the fall and be thick and lush the following summer and fall …. If the deer let it grow.