Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Most effecient way to clear land

Old 01-07-2007, 08:40 PM
Typical Buck

Default Most effecient way to clear land

I recently purchased 100 acres in SE Ohio. I have speant most of my weekends clearing old trails, but now want to make a concerted effort to clear at least a couple of acres for a food plot.

The equipment I have at my disposal is limited to chain saws, an ATV, pruning shears and the like, etc.

I just speant 30 grand putting in a 3/4 acre pond, so I don't want to hire a dozer again.

QUESTIONS:
1) What is the best way to clear land, I have mostly autumn olives (pain in the a$$), tulip trees, and some other spikey woody trees.

2) How do I get rid of the cut down trees, is it ok to start a fire after I have piled them up?

Thanks
Old 01-07-2007, 09:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Most effecient way to clear land

Yes - Cut & burn.

Lots of Manual labor - but not hard to do.

A good nonpselective herbicide will help once cleared - B4 seeding.

Good luck
FH
Old 01-08-2007, 03:30 PM
Fork Horn

Thirty grand for a 3/4 acre pond? That sounds expensive. A few hours with a bulldozer could save you weeks of work, unless dozers are really expensive in your area.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like you got shafted on the pond deal. I would hire a dozier for a day or two and stay out there while he is doing the work. About $75 an hour and you will have a good plantable area when you are finished whereas cutting the trees and leaving the stumps will take a few years to rot off if you spray the stuff. I got a 1 1/2 acre plot cleaned off a few years ago for about $350.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

I just speant 30 grand putting in a 3/4 acre pond
HOLY SMOKES! Did they have to blast it out of rock or something?

Around here, most tanks are much smaller, only 1/3 to 1/2 of a surface acre, but they only cost $3-5K to build.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:56 AM

Did you at least sell the dirt that was dugg out of the pond or was it all used to build up the leavy...
Old 01-09-2007, 10:24 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Most efficient way to waste money

Did they put a thousand 10-lb bass in there...and give you about 30 pounds of 24 carat gold hooks to catch them on too? Geez, sounds like you really got hosed or put a pond where it really didn't need to be.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:29 AM
Fork Horn

You should really consider talking to a consulting forester in your area. Get your property in a management plan with one. Most of them could have organized that pond for you as well and probably saved you some (most likely...a lot of..) money.

ORIGINAL: newguy23

I recently purchased 100 acres in SE Ohio. I have speant most of my weekends clearing old trails, but now want to make a concerted effort to clear at least a couple of acres for a food plot.

The equipment I have at my disposal is limited to chain saws, an ATV, pruning shears and the like, etc.

I just speant 30 grand putting in a 3/4 acre pond, so I don't want to hire a dozer again.

QUESTIONS:
1) What is the best way to clear land, I have mostly autumn olives (pain in the a$$), tulip trees, and some other spikey woody trees.

2) How do I get rid of the cut down trees, is it ok to start a fire after I have piled them up?

Thanks
Old 01-09-2007, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not sure if this is what you want and you might laugh, but here it goes.

Fence off the area you want cleared.

But a couple goats and put them in there.

They eat any and everything.

They will eat bark off of trees and probably kill them.

Old 01-09-2007, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

My 150' x 150' x 4' deep pond was $3,000 to dig. It was cheaper than buying sand for the basement backfill.

I like the goat idea, lammas should work too.

Dan O.

Quick Reply: Most effecient way to clear land

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.