Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Sawtooth Oaks - Where to get seedlings?

Old 01-04-2007, 04:18 PM
Spike

Default Sawtooth Oaks - Where to get seedlings?

I am looking for sawtooth oak tree seedlings, in the quantity range of 100 to 1000. I've been researching and found where I can get them, but at higher prices than I prefer. The best price I've found is (depending on size, either 6-12" at $40 per 100 or1'-2'at $55 per 100) from a place called Cold Stream Farm in Michigan. Does anyone know where they can be purchased at a better price? I've checked the PA (where I live) department of forestry and those of neighboring states. MD has them at $40/100 but won't sell to out-of-staters. I've also done a lot of online searching.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sawtooth Oaks - Where to get seedlings?

Arbor Day Foundation. I ordered some from them myself. If you want to get them soon, I would order them now, otherwise, they only send them at the time of year for them to be planted ( November- January), even if you buy them in June! They have a website that you can order them from, www.arborday.org.:)
Old 01-04-2007, 04:32 PM

Fifty-five cents a piece for a tree, and your looking for cheaper!!!??? Good Luck!!!
Old 01-04-2007, 05:07 PM
Spike

Yes, cheaper if possible. In 2003 I got them for $.30 / 100 from North Carolina DNR.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

I was going to give you the name of a place you can get them at the great price of $.80 each, but................
Old 01-05-2007, 10:02 AM
Fork Horn

Spreading invasive species, I see.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:28 AM
Spike

I knew Sawtooth oak was not native, but didn't know it was considered invasive anywhere. Based upon the post that it was invasive, I didsomequick internet research. It seems there is a debate over the tree being invasive. I also read that the acorns are bitter and may not be very attractive to wildlife.

I have planted some and wanted to plant more for wildlife, primarily deer and turkey. They are supposed to produce acorns quicker than the native red and white oak in my area. My theory was to get acorns within 10 years vs 20+ yearsfor the red/white oaks.

So, now, who has experience with these trees being inavsive and / orbeing a quick producer of attractive acorns for wildlife?
Old 01-05-2007, 02:35 PM
Fork Horn

Since you are in PA I would suggest that you purchase from a northern nursery. You will have better survivability. I can confirm that Cold Stream is very reputable also.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:33 PM
Spike

since you live in Pa -- the PGC sells seedlings -- go to the PGC website -- look under programs -- go to howard nursery
http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?a=480&q=167303
Old 01-05-2007, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

The prices that you're quoting seem very reasonable. Buy from the closest nursery that you can as the long term survival should be greater.

Dan O.

Quick Reply: Sawtooth Oaks - Where to get seedlings?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.