Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

food plot help

Old 12-02-2006, 09:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default food plot help

I was wondering what I could plant for next year that deer would like and wouldnt be too difficult to setup and use. It would be just on the inside of the woods probably a 20ydx20yd or less food plot. It would get afternoon sun. Its in East Tennessee, so the temps are in the 80's in the summer and get as low as lows in the teens to single digits. What could i put out and when do i need to do so. I would really like some feedback
Old 12-03-2006, 06:10 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: food plot help

I use a mixture ofwhite clover, dutch white clover and birdsfoot trefoil in my food plots in and around the woods here in Ohio. The clovers especially dutch dont mind a little shade, and birdsfoot trefoil is tolerant to more adverse soil and sun conditons then alfalfa. Something I have been doing a little different is instead of planting food plots, I have planting about 1/3 of those smallish plots with switch grass, I have been amazed how readily the deer seek out these small switchgrass patches to bed down in when the weather turns windy.cold and snowy. Im no expert, dont play one on TV, Just my 2 cents from here in Ohio.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

how much would it cost for all this, also i want something that when it dies the ground will be able to return to regular grass the next year if need be. When do I plant this? also what about commercial food plots such as biologic and ones of that nature
Old 12-03-2006, 10:31 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Cougars09

how much would it cost for all this, also i want something that when it dies the ground will be able to return to regular grass the next year if need be. When do I plant this? also what about commercial food plots such as biologic and ones of that nature
I would reccomend a product called Shot Plot from Evolved Habitats.
http://www.qcsupply.com/Products/11863.aspx

It's a brassica blend (turnip family). it's $14.99 for a 2 1/2 pound package that would plant a quarter acre. The problem, as I see it, with using clover is the deer are likely to hammer it before your hunting season opens next fall. With brassicas the deer don't usually get interested in them until after a couple of hard frosts, or until other natural browse is gone. Brassicas are an annual and except for a few volunteer plants they won't be there the next year. They are usually planted in July, just before a good rain.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

could you essentially plant that and the clover together and put something out such as liquid fence?
Old 12-03-2006, 12:58 PM

If you are only planting a 20X20 yard area and have moderate to high deer densities then whatever you plant will most likely disappear in short order unless your area has large agricultural areas.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

wel, how big should it be?
Old 12-03-2006, 02:35 PM
Fork Horn

The size like statedin the other postdepends on your deer densities.....Here in Ohio I planted a 5 acre field of sunflowers for dove and the deer ate the entire field before it could get knee high, I tried 2 different soybean plots of 1/2 acre and 1 acre, The deer ate them as soon as they sprouted. You might try spring oats and just keep replanting if the deer eat it down, I also use grain sorghum the deer leave it alone all summer then afterit froststhey hit it very hard eating the seed heads......Again these are just my experiences..
Old 12-03-2006, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a food plot that is 20 yards x 50 yards the first year I planted it They hit it as soon as it came up. I thought the clover didnt grow but there was enough seeding to let it grow next year.Then I planted winter wheat it doesn't mature until fall. So I gota mixure of clover & wheat one brings them in early season and the othe keeps them coming back.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

so basically this is one woodlot and from what ive learned there will be 10 deer or less in this woodlot at all times, less when the leaves drop. How big should it be now, i know liquid fence should be a good idea, and I like the idea of clover and winter wheat, but id like to throw in some commercial plot stuff too. When should i plant this stuff and where can i get it?

Quick Reply: food plot help

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.