Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Want a different food source....

Old 11-28-2006, 10:56 AM

Default Want a different food source....

My property is farmland and is surrounded by farmland. The surrounding farms are planted strictly with soybean, corn, and some hayfields. My land is mostly hayfield with a 2 acre clover plot. I planted it last year, and it started out slow due to drought. It's finally picking up and the deer are starting to graze on it pretty regularly.

I want to plant another plot near it but with a something different than all the other crops that they have readily available. Does anyone have any ideas of what I could plant that the deer wouldutilize during the summer? or through deer season? The plot is going to be about an acre.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:15 AM

Default RE: Want a different food source....

If you want something to draw them in during hunting season try brassicas. If you want something during the summer to compete with the soybeans you may try alflafa, but it is very picky and expensive. If the bean and corn fields are supplying the food maybe you need to supply the cover or browse.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:02 PM
Fork Horn

For whats its worth I have had good luck with BirdsFoot Trefoil up here in Ohio, It takes a little TLC to get established, but the deer use it all summer, fall and even will dig the snow to get to it.....
Old 11-29-2006, 09:59 AM

I would add Chicory to the Clover, It will help the clover and do well durning the hot summer and again in the fall......
Tim