Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Local Co-Op Extension Agency

Old 10-18-2006, 06:33 AM

Default Local Co-Op Extension Agency

I'm gonna try to stop by mine in the next few days. What all can they offer to me as far as seeds and such go? Clovers, sugar beets, etc. (Basically my own plot blend.)

Also, isn't most of Biologics stuff annual? If so, would it last from spring thru fall? I'm trying to do my homework, as this is a project I really want to do for next year.

I think I'm reaping what I'm sowing b/c I haven't put much effort into my hunting the last several years. Trying to get serious.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Local Co-Op Extension Agency

You need to go to any feed and seed store, the Extension Agency around here doesn't sell seed. Your local feed and seed should have most anything that will grow well in your area. First thing I would do is get a soil test and apply needed lime sometimes in the early spring.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:59 AM

I plan to begin getting the area ready right after season ends here. I'm planning on getting a test done. But, I know how lime is, and I want to get it down ASAP to give it time work. I know it's gonna need some. It's a place that has had only timber for many, many years.

Can you buy different clover seeds and such at places like that? I've been planning on using Whitetail Institute stuff. Probably no-plow, or alpha rack. But am open to other options as thosed a re kinda pricey ones. My father in law is a big agriculture man, and SWEARS I can buy the same stuff in products like those for much cheaper. Is it really the same stuff though? He tends to "know more" than most people if you know what I mean.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

First you need to decide what you want to plant, if it is clover or cereal grains or other seeds. You should be able to get good seeds of whatever you want at the local feed and seed, and they should have seeds that will do best in the area you live. Just because there is a Biologic or Whitetail Institute label on the bag doesn't necessarily mean it is the best you can get, just that the price per pound is probably more than you can get the seeds forlocally. Your father-in-law sounds like he knows what he is talking about.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:28 AM

Ok thanks!

As far as what to plant, to me it doesn't really matter. As long as deer like it, and it's not too hard to get established.And, it has decent protein levels in it.He HATES clover w/ a passion. Doesn't look like he's gonna let me plant any at the farm, dang it! He seems to think soybeans are the "be all, end all' for deer. I know that holds some merit to it. And, he did plant some this year (on the opposite side of the farm from my stand) Farmis about 45 acres of mostly open fields, surrounded by timber lines. It is typically used for tobacco.

So, that's out.

Trying to decide what to plant behind my house in the woods, at the edge of a grass field, just inside the timber (oaks, maples, etc.) He doesn't know about this "secret plot" I'm GONNA do!

So, I'm thinking:

1. Clover

2. Turnips/beets

I should be able to look at the list on some of these others (Biologic, etc.) and just plant what's in them if the feed store has 'em right?

BTW, I just got a little video of 4 does eating in my backyard! [:@] From my kit. window while I was on the phone w/ a co-worker. I'm killing time B4 I go in. Couldn't hunt this morning--had to get the baby ready.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:33 PM

Stopped by there today. Receptionist was very helpful. Gave me some good pamphlets, and their web site to look at.

Also, talked to an agent who just happened to come in as I was there. He said he uses just alfalfa. Said it has ALL the minerals a deer needs for growth including antlers. Said it has good holding/attracting power too. Had good things to say about clover, especially white types.

Think I'm gonna make my own blend of alfalfa/white clover for my "honey hole" next spring. Maybe throw some turnips in a strip in the middle too. Other thread about them has me interested in that.

He also said that the companies like WTI, Tecomate, Biologic, are all just their own particular blends and there's nothing special about them. It's just their "recipe" if you will.

Got my stand hung this morning and did a little more looking. If all goes well, next year will be GREAT!!!!!!! Not that I'm giving up this year yet. [8D]

Got my boxes for my soil samples why I was there too! NCSU is awesome!