Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Was This a Waste of Time?????

Old 09-05-2006, 11:22 AM

Default Was This a Waste of Time?????

I just planted winter rye, oats and clover over the weekend. The forecast shows no rain for the week. Was this a waste of my time? Ordo i still have a chance?
Old 09-05-2006, 11:29 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Was This a Waste of Time?????

you still have a chance. the seeds you plantedwill stay dormant in the ground for a long time. so do weed and grass seeds.

did you spray the existing vegetation with roundup first?

did you apply fertilizer, lime, and have a soil test done to find the right amounts of each to use?
Old 09-05-2006, 11:35 AM

yes, to all. thanks
Old 09-05-2006, 12:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

You'll be fine...I planted mine last year over Labor Day...didn't rain for almost a month..But the oats still came up in about a week...and the deer started hitting them...Once it rained we saw deer in them all season...
Old 09-05-2006, 05:27 PM

Those seeds could sit there for weeks and be just fine. Birds will eat a few, but they will still germinate fine.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Just hope it doesn't germinate and then turn off dry for a month or more. The little plants will dry up and die, it happened to us on about 50 food plots last year.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:00 PM
Fork Horn

I often wonder about this when I plant as well but you can't out guess the weather. If you wait for the perfect time you'll never get anything planted.

I'm not sure where you are at but you may be getting dew on the ground overnight that could help give moisture as well.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:10 PM

hey guys Mari1865 is my wife so i'll fill you in on a little more info were located in mid michigan and the property is sand/dirt mix mostly dirt though. i've been checking the weather for the area where our property is and theres a 30% chance of rain for the next few days. but hasn't hadany rainsince we planted last saturday. also is there anything i can spray on the plot to help growth. thanks for all the help!