Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Mineral licks???

Old 08-29-2006, 08:56 PM

Default Mineral licks???

Is it too late to put a mineral or salt lick out here in the South. Its still really hot and was wondering if it would be a waste of money to put one out now. If not what should I put out??? what should I ask for at the feed store? I know your supposed to put it in a damp and shady place. So should I wait or go ahead and start one???

Thanks for your advice.
Chad
Old 08-30-2006, 07:50 AM

Default RE: Mineral licks???

I used minerals for about two and a half years, and saw no appreciable results, so I stopped doing it. They really ate them during the early spring through the end of summer. So, if you really want to you can use them right now, but don't expect a lot of usage until next spring. Be sure to get something with no more than 30% salt; otherwise, you are just putting out salt for them. In VA the game department passed a new law that says we cannot put puit anything for the deer from Sept. 1 thru Jan. 1.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:59 AM

Its never a bad time to put minerals out. If you mix them right and keep them refreshed every month or so it will become a major attraction to all the deer in your area. Great place to monitor the herd w/ cameras too. However, the major use of the lick sites is early spring through the end of the summer. Both bucks and does crave the minerals & salt this time of year. The minerals help greatly w/ lactating does and bucks growing their horns. They don't both much with the licks in fall and winter - but it certaintly won't hurt you.

Buy at feed store:
1 bag Dicalcium Phosphate
1 bag White salt
2 bags Mineral Salt

Mix 2 parts min salt, 1 part of the other 2 items. I use a coffee can mix in bucket. Break up the top 3 inches of dirt in a circle about 3 ft across, then mix the minerals into the dirt. Refresh the lick sites every 4 to 6 weeks. I use a whole bucket the first time around and then use 1/2 the mixture to refresh the sites. They say 1 lick site per 50 acres. I have 100 acres and they hit both the sites I have constantly in spring/summer, moderatetly fall/winter.

If you mix the minerals wrong they won't hit it, so try to keep the ratios right. The salt is just an attractor, the dical and minerals are what you want them to get. It makes a difference.

Buying at the feed store and mixing yourself will save you alot of money, versus buying the premixed stuff for 5x's the price.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:00 PM

*One clarification to the above Mineral list - the Mineral Salt is called TRACE MINERAL SALT