Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

food plot question

Old 05-15-2006, 06:21 AM

Default food plot question

Ok, heres the question
I have about 1.5 acres to put a food plot on and i was wondering if clover would be ok here. It is a slight hill leading down to a little creek it is not step enough to worry about runoff or loosing seed to rain, but i would have to plant about 15 feet away from it so when it floods it doesnt wash it away. Also the ground area is clear but there are a few mature trees in the area that i dont want to cut down if i dont have too. Sunlight gets in just not a bunch i was wondering if clover would grow in shady regions.
thanks in advance
Old 05-15-2006, 08:10 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: food plot question

not sure about clover in shade
i know imperials no-plow does well in shade and is easy to set up, just kill the existing grass roots and spread seed before a rain
you may be able to kill the trees by tapping them with a big drill and pouring round-up or stump kill in the holes
tree would did but still be standing open up the canopy for ya
drill the holes at a 45 degree angle a foot above the base of the tree, wider the tree the more holes, fill holes with your type of tree/grass root kill in the concentrated form and it should work
i plan on using this technique this year around my plots
or if you don't want to kill the trees you could just prune them with a chain saw
Old 05-19-2006, 09:31 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: food plot question

The clover needs 4-5 hours of sunligh a day to do OK, but I've had some shady areas to do well also..