Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

buck antler growing food

Old 02-11-2006, 11:51 AM

Default RE: buck antler growing food

TY
Old 02-11-2006, 11:54 AM

i think im going to buy that buck grub, so ty for your help
Old 02-11-2006, 12:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

You have to remember that everybody that has a commercial is trying to sell you something, and that they can and will tell you almost anything to get you to buy it. The deer feeds and supplements will work in ideal conditions, but those conditions probably include penned areas with other nutrients fed and TIME FOR GROWING also. Throwing out 50# of anything on the ground probably didn't do anything other than take several dollars out of your pocket.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:09 PM

I saw the same show you are talking about, it was buck grub that they put on the ground and filmed over

OhioHunter88
Old 02-11-2006, 02:20 PM
Fork Horn

timbercruiser you are trying to say that you have to have deer penned up in order for the food to actually help the deer gow. Well i hunt a food plot that is not fenced in and i have seen the progress in the deer over the course of 2 years.
Old 02-11-2006, 04:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am trying to say not to believe everything you see and hear. Sure a food plot will help, we plant about 60 each year, but the factor of time for the buck to mature is far more important. I just don't think you can pour a couple of sacks of Buck Grub or any other feed out and expect to grow trophybucks because of it. With a penned area you can control all the factors to grow a trophy buck. By the way, I don't have or hunt in a pen.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:35 PM
Fork Horn

Ok timbercruiser i misunderstanded you and i apologize for that and i didnt mean for it to sound like you hunt in a pin and im truly sorry for that. Sorry Man.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:22 AM
Fork Horn

The only thing you can really do is have food sources that provide deer with the protien,calcium and other minerals they need for antler growth. But even having those foods doesnt insure they will eat them.

I will be converting a powerline right of way this year and will have plenty of before and after pics for you guys. My plantings will consist of alfalfa, red clover, ladino clover,cow peas,soybean,corn, and some of the easyplot no-plow seed. The no-plow seed will used on a hill where I dont want to till , that way there will be no erosion issues to deal with. Also after the soybeans and cowpeas have died out in the fall I will use winter seed rye. There is a small plot out there right now and it is completely mowed to the ground. I planted the same seed at the same time in my garden at home for a cover crop and the rye is 12"-14" tall.

Here is another site I found, it has seeding rates, plant nutritional values, planting dates, and soil requirements.

www.agriculture.purdue.edu
Go to the search box and type in foodplots, there are about ten different articles in there and the I use is the "Food plots for whitetail deer".

There is also another site , wildlife foods plots in Tennessee, with the same charts.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:17 PM
Typical Buck

I bought some buck grub in early FEB. I poured it on the ground in strips like the bag says. Went back two days later and all that was left was a huge 4 foot in diameter hole dug by the deer. I went back to check some other spots where I put it out and there were 4 bucks standing around it. This stuff really atracts deer, I don't know as far as antler growth. It contains alot of protein and fat and other nutrients that have to help throughout winter.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:47 PM
Fork Horn

I used some buck grub in the past and the deer ate the crap out of it. I put it out one day and the next day it was gone.

Quick Reply: buck antler growing food

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.