Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Deer Mgmt Heavy Clay?

Old 10-20-2002, 03:15 PM

Default Deer Mgmt Heavy Clay?

The soil in this part of the country is heavy clay. Grows good wheat. There is plenty of that here. I have up to 8 acres to dedicate to deer management. Any suggestions on crops and when to plant?
Old 10-20-2002, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer Mgmt Heavy Clay?

Clay is not necessarily a bad thing. It usually holds moisture and fertilizer nutrients much better than sand. It's main downfalls are poor drainage and the short periods when you can work it. Otherwise you should be able to plant most forage crops on it. Corn, oats, wheat, rye should do OK. The crops which need better drainage like clover and alfalfa may not do great by commercial standards but should still still show some growth. In my case I grow sweet cherries in clay which is supposed to be a no-no. The secret is to plant them on the hill side where the drainage is better. There are advantages to clay that the soil stays most longer and doesn't let the rain down to the roots too quickly in dry spells. This prevents the cherries from splitting.

My field was red brick clay 19 years ago. By planting alfalfa and clover and continually bushhogging the organic matter has built up and the top 12-18" is now black and workable. A field of corn worked under is supposed to quickly increase the organic matter and the tilth. The corn stacks are high in carbon and bulk. They're low in nitrogen so they don't decompose until nitrogen is available. Clover, trefoil or alfalfa would do well in the low nitrogen soil if the P & K are high enough. The corn stocks add organic matter, the legumes add the nitrogen, fill the soil with roots and help to slowly break down the corn stocks.

Dan O.
Old 10-20-2002, 10:44 PM

Wow thx for the answer. The predominant food source of these guys for the winter is wheat. Thats the farm crop here. What I want a desert crop or something to add variety to their diet. Also they don't have a huge amount of prottein sources around here.

Like the sweet cherries idea. ??? would they take the heat here in Oklahoma?
Old 10-21-2002, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sooner; I mentioned the cherries to show that you can even grow plants that need good drainage on the side of hills in clay. Cherries need about a zone 6 to bear but they won't take more than about -20 F in the winter. Their touchiest part is that they bloom early and the blossoms won't take a frost. If it wasn't for lake Ontario we wouldn't have a fruit belt in Niagara. The lake slows the season in the spring, extends it in the fall and moderates it during the winter. I don't know that deer like cherries. Now I know they love mulberries and that they'd be hardy where you're located.

From what most people on this forum will tell you: if everyone has wheat, you should plant corn, oats, rye or canola (rape). Something different to draw them in. I think it was Lunchbucket who mentioned that he'd never shot a deer with a belly full of only corn. The deer will eat other foods to make up their nutrient needs. No animal would last long eating only one plant.

Dan O.
Old 10-21-2002, 11:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dan has some very good points. If winter wheat grows well, so will other cereal grains like oats, rye, barely, or tritacle. Sometimes the deer just need a "different" forage to really make a plot attractive. The last thing I'd plant is wheat, it thats what all the neighbors are doing.

If you soil Ph is good, clover is also an excellent choice. All our land is loamy, and clay. No crop will grow well if the clay prevents water from draining away. If after a heavy rain, you have water that stands for several days, forget about planting there.

The problem with clay is it is hard to adjust the Ph quickly. Often large amounts of lime are required. If, your Ph is good, and you have good drainage, clay can be GREAT. The soil will hold moisture longer, and crops you plant can flourish, even with sporadic rianfall.

Do a soil test, and research other deer attracting plots. A little experimentation can go a long ways as well.

Good luck.
Old 10-22-2002, 08:11 AM
Typical Buck

Ditto above... Clay will respond quickest to the liquid lime type products... The ag lime takes longer to react. The animals seek out the nutritient that is needed at different times of year, hence the change in diet make up through out the year.

Romans 10:9 Psalms 42
Old 10-22-2002, 05:17 PM

I've gotta disagree on not planting wheat even though it is
all that is around. I live in Oklahoma and have quite a few
food plots going right now and It has been my experience
that wheat is the easiest to grow around here and the deer will
be on it. they seem to hit the other plots in spurts(clover, winter
peas, cowpeas, and treefoil). I guess it all depends on how much
time and equipment you have. Anyway, good luck to you.
Old 10-22-2002, 10:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Carey - Your point is well taken. Winter wheat may be a preffered food for your area, still it does little nutritionally for the overall health of a deer herd. If the point is to hunt over the plot, and never worry about it again, wheat may well be the "plot of choice" Should this be the case, I'd still recommend plant at least a mix, of other cereal grains with winter wheat - as variety is the spice of life - for deer or otherwise.

Should you want to help to increase the protein intake of your herd, I would plant a clover or legume with the grain.....for next summer, and rotate other areas for "kill plots", of cereal grains.
Old 10-23-2002, 05:54 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-23-2002, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm backing up farm hunter on this. There are a lot of people on this post that find the deer deserting their plots. The deer will feed elsewhere if the food is more appealling to them. Then they just as mysteriously move back to their bread and butter feed area. If you plant wheat in a wheat area you'll need something else to bring the deer to your plot. That could be cover or water but why should the deer eat your wheat when they can choose a safer area?

Dan O.

Quick Reply: Deer Mgmt Heavy Clay?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.