Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Siberian Pea Tree

Old 12-29-2005, 06:05 AM
Fork Horn

Default Siberian Pea Tree

Has anyone tried Siberian Pea Tree (Caragana) as a deer browes? I saw this on another post and was wondering how fast it grows, and when the deer would utilize it?Early fall? Late fall? Winter?Thanks!

Konk
Old 12-29-2005, 10:31 AM

Default RE: Siberian Pea Tree

and what do the fruits look like? are they as small as peas we eat for dinner?
Old 01-03-2006, 09:24 AM
Fork Horn

I responded awhile back on these trees/shrubs. We've had them for a number of years on our hunting land. They tend to grow fairly quick(probably faster in warmer climate then here in northern Minnesota). Most of ours are in the 6'-10' range now. I suggest you fence them in for first several years to keep critters off them and to let them grow. They produce fruit(pods) that look like long green beans. Here, the deer go nuts for them in the fall/winter when most browse is gone. They really rip into them when they get full of pods. You'll find that they also tend to spread out as years go by. So planting a couple will get you a bunch down the line if you care for them in young growth stage. Give them a try, you'll be glad you did. Tazimna
Old 01-08-2006, 10:13 AM
Spike

I am also from MN and would agree. One thing that happens up north is the "freezing" changes starches to sugars. Same reason why sugar beat farmers store their beats outside until they freeze as it turns the starches to sugars so they sugar can be processed out. Deer love sugar. The very tips of many plants also turn starches to sugar for energy processing.

I beleive another name for this shrub is "caragana". You can do some searches on the internet and find some good information on this shrub as well as many others.

If you have heavier or wetter soils, I would recommend using Redosier Dogwood for better results. This shrub is an excellent browse as well.

Browse is often a forgotten about in management plans. It is perennial and cost effective...as well as developing additional travel lanes and cooridors. There are many internet sites that you can purchase conservation grad (12 to 24 inche stock) shrubs/trees from.

Fencing can often be very costly. Another recommendation I would provide is to use "tree tubes" or tree protectors. These protectors will also provide 3 to 5 times the growth! I would also recommend spraying Roundup around the area of the shrub/tree to reduce competition. The tree tube can protect it from the spray or use some other tube if you are not using tree protectors.

Land DR