Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Corn seeds, what to use.

Old 12-28-2005, 06:57 PM

Default Corn seeds, what to use.

Looking for some corn seed to plant this spring in NY. I'm about 45 minutes South of O canda on the Vermont border. The soil is very much like clay when wet and very powdery when dry. It seems to drain well after a good rain, ph is 5.5-6 by the biologic meter. This is in a wooded area that will be planted in openings that will total about 1 acre. I will be leaving the corn as a winter crop. It will get good sun for most of the day.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Corn seeds, what to use.

1 acre - even as a block is too small for a corn plot - unless your deer population is extremley low.

We suggest that for corn to do well - in cross pollination - it should be at least a 2 acre plot. You can probably get by with smaller - but not much. Then if the corn does make it to maturatity - the coon, birds, and especially squirrells will strip a 1 acre woodland corn plot - before your hunting season ever starts.

I don't want to discourage anyone considering food plots - but seriously - you would probably be better served with a sound clover plot, or perhaps one of the newer brassica type plots.

If you can plant a solid 2 acre block - say in the corner of a large field - then I'd say go for it - otherwise - I think other plots would serve you better.

FH
Old 12-31-2005, 12:39 PM

I have about 3.5 acres that is planted with different clovers, beans etc. I was looking for something that would stand up to the snow and freezing temp to help aid the deer through the winter. Was also going to add a few rows through the other plots.Thanks for the input.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:20 AM
Spike

I would agree that if you can't get over 3 acres for your corn plot, you should expect some pretty heavy depredation on the corn coming up. Deer just love the little shoots coming up and will either graze it down to the ground or stunt it enough that you won't get much of a corn crop...I am speaking from experience.

I would recommend that you find some way of getting the acres however as corn is a great fall attractant. It will pull in the does and the bucks are not far behind. Late season muzzleloader is excellent as well as the deer are then putting on the feed bag for winter.

There are some sites on the internet that offer Roundup Ready corn that can be drop shipped right to your door step.

Fencing the deer out until hunting season is an option but is more costly.

Planting later with Roundup Ready soybeans can be very good as well if you have the soils or rainfall to support it. The new tender shoots coming up will really bring the deer in!

Land DR
Old 01-09-2006, 04:17 PM

Should I look at some winter wheat/rye for late season forage. Want something that can stand some snow.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deer will dig through tje snowfor Late August planted Rye - that I can say for sure because we've used it. They dig for our clover more though. Rye will stay real green under the snow and can take serious grazing. Probably Winter Wheat isn't much different though I've never used it.

Old 01-09-2006, 11:43 PM

I may be simplifying this too much, in fact I'm almost sure I am

...but go to a local farmer, ask him for a bucket of corn (it will be a variety suited for you zone and soil...of course winter planting may change all the rules on this) and go to it. I think it is illegal for farmers to keep their crop of use it as plant seed the next year, but if theirs no harvest of the planted crop I would think it would be legal. Check local laws.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:23 AM

So i should plant the wheat/rye in the fall for best results.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

yes - Spring planted will "head out" and die offering very liitle food for deer during the summer - and none in the fall.

Fall planted rye will grow, then go dormant and provide food all winter - and early spring before it starts growing -really fast in May.

FH
Old 01-12-2006, 07:03 PM

You can get corn from a local farmer's bin, but the germanation rates aren't near as high as they are from seed dealers.

Quick Reply: Corn seeds, what to use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.